Thinking about a one off competition.

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Lowtech

Re: Thinking about a one off competition.

Post by Lowtech »

They still award points for most yellow robot right

Firestorm-in-a-teacup (2WD front hinged flipper)
Hydrant (4WD crusher) (in progress)
Lowtech

Post by Lowtech »

Now with electronics installed. Nearly ready for a full test.

Drive motors are a bit jittery, any thoughts?
Lowtech

Post by Lowtech »

And now the conclusion...

Here's the full test, with plough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG_1Sqj ... mbatechist

It taken unusually high levels energy and patience on my part. I can't believe anyone would have the patience to build a Beetleweight robot.

Now I intend to forget about it until fight day :)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

i found that the first few builds seemed daunting... but you pick up tips and tricks which help as you build more...

nowdays, with all parts to hand, i can scratch build a robot that could win a fight in just a couple of hours.

although typically i would say each of my bots take a day or 2 from parts to fully ready.

if you want stress, try building an antweight robot you intend to sell... my own robot's are built with a "that'll do" mentality... but if i am selling something, it is my very best work... parts are remade until they work right, things are measured and remeasured then measured again...
the last one i built, i was working on for a little over a week and rebuilt every part at least once until it was something i would be happy buying.

honestly though, its quite nice putting that much effort into something and the final result is exactly what you wanted...

:)
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Lowtech

Post by Lowtech »

Kyro wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:14 pm i found that the first few builds seemed daunting... but you pick up tips and tricks which help as you build more...

nowdays, with all parts to hand, i can scratch build a robot that could win a fight in just a couple of hours.

although typically i would say each of my bots take a day or 2 from parts to fully ready.

if you want stress, try building an antweight robot you intend to sell... my own robot's are built with a "that'll do" mentality... but if i am selling something, it is my very best work... parts are remade until they work right, things are measured and remeasured then measured again...
the last one i built, i was working on for a little over a week and rebuilt every part at least once until it was something i would be happy buying.

honestly though, its quite nice putting that much effort into something and the final result is exactly what you wanted...

:)
I can imagine that one'd want to make the best robot for a customer, if not because they're paying, because one wants them to come to competitions.
Lowtech

Post by Lowtech »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cx7FLj ... mbatechist

Thought I'd ask my brother to help me test some smaller batteries I bought! Gotta do something about self righting before AWS...
Lowtech

Post by Lowtech »

Does anyone have any advice as to how to remove the large connector from a small lipo? I'm not sure what the technical name is..

I got some new ones recently.

In my haste I just cut the connector off with scissors, now I want to do a better job with one of the others.

Also, what kind of acetate is popular for wedges?
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

the balance connector? has 3 wires going to it if its a 2s?

usually the best way to replace any connector is to crimp them... otherwise have pre crimped ones and solder them in place of the original wires at the lipo...

this obviously has many more risks, and unless you feel comfortable doing this, i would suggest to steer clear...

as for acetate, usually the thinnest you can find is best...

iirc the stuff i use is 40microns thick but don't hold me to that
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Lowtech

Post by Lowtech »

Kyro wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:11 pm the balance connector? has 3 wires going to it if its a 2s?

usually the best way to replace any connector is to crimp them... otherwise have pre crimped ones and solder them in place of the original wires at the lipo...

this obviously has many more risks, and unless you feel comfortable doing this, i would suggest to steer clear...

as for acetate, usually the thinnest you can find is best...

iirc the stuff i use is 40microns thick but don't hold me to that
Thanks, I'll try and buy some. It wouldn't be a Firestorm tribute if it can't get under other robots. Their ground clearance was probably their best feature.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Damn 40 micron that's pretty thin, mine is 125 um
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands