Ellis's (Team BANANAPHONE/A12) build log!

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

retropunk

Re: Ellis's (Team BANANAPHONE/A12) build log!

Post by retropunk »

so that was AWS60!

got a bye in round one, which is technically the only win solderburn v2 has. then first fight against wait for it, i was pretty nervous and also solderburn v2's controls were incredibly weird and i had some issues with the bot itself - led to me forgetting my controls on top of the fact she didn't even control right, freaked out and drove directly into the pit. F.

took about 15 minutes out of the competition to calm down, dry the tears etc while tom from mad catz and a few others helped fix the controls on solderburn v2 (thanks so much for that), got some driving practise in before the next fight.

and it was test robot please ignore, shakeys vert. fight lasted 5 seconds. some tentative driving at the beginning, shakey hit me, i hit the ceiling and then straight into the pit. to be honest, it was a little upsetting since i'd just got my driving working but oh well, what happens happens!

had some fun in the whiteboards, and managed to do some pretty cool damage to anticide!

overall i'm actually ok with how solderburn did - the first fight was tech issues, the second was bad luck in the draw, and now i know what i have to sort out, it's mostly my driving and resoldering some parts so they're less tempermental! bring on the next event, next time i might get a proper win :)
team A12 / BANANAPHONE

Solderburn v2 (1-5)
retropunk

Post by retropunk »

alright! schools about to start again and i've only just got myself out of the coma of christmas holidays, so time for ant freeze prep.

solderburn v2 - resolder some things and replace a panel, mostly, but my orangerx in solderburn has stopped working - the voltage regulator heats up a lot, and the LEDs flash like it's trying to bind. if i rebind it the LEDs flash less but don't stop flashing, and the rx still doesnt work, does anyone know what's going on or how i fix it?

deceptacon - the new bot for ant freeze! mg90 powered lifting forks in an ABS chassis, just gotta find a way to make all the parts fit inside.
team A12 / BANANAPHONE

Solderburn v2 (1-5)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I have had problems with the small orange receivers loosing the bind with DSM2 transmitters and in some cases refusing to bind at all. I have found that they do still work with DSMX transmitters so I have bought a secondhand DSMX DX6i to operate them. When linked to DSMX the light is not quite continuous but has a very short off period flash. I think the chances of fixing one if it is faulty are very low.
Henwilled Antweight team

Post by Henwilled Antweight team »

It was a shame what happened at antfreeze, but hopefully the wiring stays in place for another event or two.
Also, I recommend making an asymmetrical spinner, to deal larger hits, and getting a smaller drive ESC like a dasmikro, because those larger ones don't have a good break and are really heavy. If soldering is a problem for small smd components and circuit boards I recommend solder paste.
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

I'd recommend just having a non-spinner. For ants, spinners are a way to have a very specific type of fun that has nothing to do with success (says a guy who currently operates 0 spinners). Solderburn's BEYBLADE special move is exactly what I'd want from my spinners :lol:

Also for what it's worth, I DON'T recommend the dasmikro. Also no brake, and they're just fragile. The only one of mine that's still fully alive is held together with gluegun, eliminating it's weight advantage. I'd suggest servo boards - I believe the feetech ones are the ones to go for? They've been mentioned on here a few times. I run domon ones, but they're unreliable so I don't recommend them. Little Kit etc run off servo boards iirc, so I guess she's the one to talk to?
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
retropunk

Post by retropunk »

just remembered i have to do this, so here we go! event report!!

i had an amazing time at ant freeze, despite going 0-2, i think those were the longest fights i've had and overall i'm pretty happy with my performance!

1st fight was Villanelle, which was pretty scary to go up against although i tried to keep calm and point my spinner at them, i was mostly getting beat up until i panicked and drove in the pit, but it was probably the best and longest i've held up against another spinner! i took some damage, mostly the corners getting chipped off, but i might be replacing the chassis soon and getting another spare.

2nd fight was Axiom, which is probably one of my best fights ever, and i'm actually very impressed with the damage i did to axiom (bent the axe and a few scars on the front wedge) and then there was the beyblade incident, which is absolutely my proudest moment.

there's a few repairs to do on solderburn, and i'm going to try and build a second bot on my team to get more fights etc, also i'm currently using an ebay esc with solderburn and rory suggested that the reason i've been having driving and control issues is that it doesn't have centre braking (i've noticed that when practising my driving) does anyone have any suggestions for an antweight esc thats under 30 quid?

the event was seriously fantastic and i had a great time :)
team A12 / BANANAPHONE

Solderburn v2 (1-5)
Team RobotMad

Post by Team RobotMad »

retropunk wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:19 am does anyone have any suggestions for an antweight esc thats under 30 quid?
http://www.robotwars101.org/forum/viewt ... f=1&t=2968
this thread is all about a few custom ESC's being made for ants.
my RM-NanoESC v1 will be alavable soon (hopefully avalble for pick up at AWS61, purchasing will be on a website im currenly making) at £25 with all the features you could ever realy need in a Ant.
Lincoln Barnes
Maker of "SmartAnts", and other autonomous projects.
Electronic enginering student at Nottingham Trent University.
PM to order the RM NanoESC
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

You can also achieve braking by putting a (I seen to recall shakey said 60 ohm?) resistor across the motor terminals
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
retropunk

Post by retropunk »

i'll look into custom escs for solderburn, because i was previously looking at the endbots DESC which is around 30 pounds not including shipping, and i've had some bad experiences with the AWESC not working in the original solderburn - is anyone making any already, or are they future projects?

i'm going to try my hardest to make it to AWS61, but that's the weekend my parents are away so i'll struggle to find someone to take me since i am not trusted to go on trains alone, but over the half term i'm going to work on repairing solderburn and finishing my second ant for the team! :)
team A12 / BANANAPHONE

Solderburn v2 (1-5)
retropunk

Post by retropunk »

hey, just a quick life update: it's 2 or 3 months until my GCSEs begin and revision has taken over most of my life, so i'll probably be going dark and not touching my bots for a while. i might do some tweaks, repairs or odd jobs if i have spare time but i don't think i'll be posting much here or any major updates. its a pain but i have to put school first - although i do get an extra long summer so plenty of time for events, RoboNerd, and The Beetleweight!

i'll probably spring back to life on the other side (end of june probably)! :)
team A12 / BANANAPHONE

Solderburn v2 (1-5)