What is a team?

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

minionhunter

Re: What is a team?

Post by minionhunter »

Kyro wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:37 am RBMK (the double spinner) uses gyro to move... this is done by accelerating and decelerating each motor in turn which makes it walk.

im sure George can explain it much better than me, but if you watch the aws58 video on team panoramics youtube channel you will see it perform well (it ate one of my robots... poor Dominus)

very unique and very well engineered robot.
Neat! I think that is close to what I was thinking.
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Not quite - the spinners are balanced so there's little to no vibration. Pick up a fidget spinner, spin it vertically, then try to turn it horizontally. Can you feel it trying to rotate in your grip? Because the 2 big spinners on RBMK are not horizontal but angled, if one slows down then the gyroscopic forces become unbalanced causing the robot to rotate. By rapidly switching which one is spinning faster, the robot can walk.

It's a brilliant machine and I love it. Still can't believe how well the recycled steel on Jammin' held up to it at aws60 - definitely a win for the memory books!
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

i guess so... it means i can attack my meal without ever needing to turn my plate... :D

and its helpful when shooting from cover in things like paintball...

im right eye dominant but can still use left eye to aim without much difficulty and right foot dominant but cannot kick a ball properly left footed... so its seems to be really specific things...

oh and back when i was a smoker, i could smoke left handed (a lot of people have trouble flicking ash with opposite hand)
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

minionhunter wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:30 am Thank you! That's really clear now.

Your bots are really awesome. The one with the two spinners looks like a Vertabird from Fallout 1 or Fallout 2! I love it! Does it move based on the vibration of the motors spinning if you throttle one up more than the other?

I saw a 3lb bot here in the states when I was first introduced to robot combat that moved on two wire metal brushes that were on the bottom. They had a way of making them vibrate so that it moved around on them but I never understood exactly how that worked. I never saw it move in reverse but it moved forward and could turn well enough. I was guessing your bot worked in a similar manner.
Thanks, I'm glad people like them. The type of robot you're referring to is called a bristlebot, but RBMK (while looking similar to some bristlebots) actually moves in a completely different way.

A bristlebot moves by having angled bristles on the bottom of the robot, when these are vibrated against the floor it pushes the robot forward. In combat robots the vibration is usually created by having two slightly unbalanced spinners - one on either side of the robot. The faster they spin the more vibration, so the speed of each side depends on how fast the spinner on that side is going. They can only move in the direction of the bristles, so can't reverse.

RBMK is what's called a gyro walker, because it walks by utilising gyroscopic forces. The actual walking mechanism is unique to RBMK, so I've started calling it a "torque reaction gyro walker" , to distinguish it from the other type of gyro walker (eg. Wrecks from battlebots), which are based on the John Jameson "walking gyro" design.

Rather than write it out again here's how I explained it on Reddit last year.....
How it works!

A few people wanted an explanation of the walking motion, so I’ve tried to explain it as simply as possible….

As you can kind of see from the picture, RBMK rests on two skids either side of the robot. The two large spinners rotate in opposite directions, and accelerate/brake to create the motion, while the smaller ones are both conventional vertical spinners, running at a constant speed. All spinners are balanced and do not intentionally vibrate (it’s NOT a vibration driven bristlebot).

To move, one of the large spinners is accelerated, while simultaneously the other is actively braked, this creates a torque reaction force (Newton’s 3rd law) that turns the bot left or right on the spot (no forward movement yet).

The gyro forces are what take this rotation on the spot and turn it into forward movement. Due to the fact the main spinners are angled (in combination with the two small verts) RBMK experiences gyro forces in the same direction as a “normal” vertical spinner, so when the robot rotates left the right hand side is lifted up (and vice versa).

With the right hand skid (moving forwards) lifted up and the left skid (moving backwards) pushed into the floor RBMK “steps” forward pivoting around the left skid. Switch around the acceleration/braking of the spinners and the opposite happens, with the left side stepping forward pivoting around the right skid.

In reality I’ve tuned it so neither skid lifts any significant amount unless doing a particularly hard turn, so it looks like each side alternately slides forward.
et voilà.....

Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

GeorgeR wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:53 am
minionhunter wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:30 am Thank you! That's really clear now.

Your bots are really awesome. The one with the two spinners looks like a Vertabird from Fallout 1 or Fallout 2! I love it! Does it move based on the vibration of the motors spinning if you throttle one up more than the other?

I saw a 3lb bot here in the states when I was first introduced to robot combat that moved on two wire metal brushes that were on the bottom. They had a way of making them vibrate so that it moved around on them but I never understood exactly how that worked. I never saw it move in reverse but it moved forward and could turn well enough. I was guessing your bot worked in a similar manner.
Thanks, I'm glad people like them. The type of robot you're referring to is called a bristlebot, but RBMK (while looking similar to some bristlebots) actually moves in a completely different way.

A bristlebot moves by having angled bristles on the bottom of the robot, when these are vibrated against the floor it pushes the robot forward. In combat robots the vibration is usually created by having two slightly unbalanced spinners - one on either side of the robot. The faster they spin the more vibration, so the speed of each side depends on how fast the spinner on that side is going. They can only move in the direction of the bristles, so can't reverse.

RBMK is what's called a gyro walker, because it walks by utilising gyroscopic forces. The actual walking mechanism is unique to RBMK, so I've started calling it a "torque reaction gyro walker" , to distinguish it from the other type of gyro walker (eg. Wrecks from battlebots), which are based on the John Jameson "walking gyro" design.

Rather than write it out again here's how I explained it on Reddit last year.....
How it works!

A few people wanted an explanation of the walking motion, so I’ve tried to explain it as simply as possible….

As you can kind of see from the picture, RBMK rests on two skids either side of the robot. The two large spinners rotate in opposite directions, and accelerate/brake to create the motion, while the smaller ones are both conventional vertical spinners, running at a constant speed. All spinners are balanced and do not intentionally vibrate (it’s NOT a vibration driven bristlebot).

To move, one of the large spinners is accelerated, while simultaneously the other is actively braked, this creates a torque reaction force (Newton’s 3rd law) that turns the bot left or right on the spot (no forward movement yet).

The gyro forces are what take this rotation on the spot and turn it into forward movement. Due to the fact the main spinners are angled (in combination with the two small verts) RBMK experiences gyro forces in the same direction as a “normal” vertical spinner, so when the robot rotates left the right hand side is lifted up (and vice versa).

With the right hand skid (moving forwards) lifted up and the left skid (moving backwards) pushed into the floor RBMK “steps” forward pivoting around the left skid. Switch around the acceleration/braking of the spinners and the opposite happens, with the left side stepping forward pivoting around the right skid.

In reality I’ve tuned it so neither skid lifts any significant amount unless doing a particularly hard turn, so it looks like each side alternately slides forward.
et voilà.....

"Well I woke up Sunday morning with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt..."

Thank you! That's really creative George, I love it. Thanks for sharing that. Is there a reddit group that antweights are discussed? I really just know robotwars101 as the place to look for info about ants.
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Kyro wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:23 am i guess so... it means i can attack my meal without ever needing to turn my plate... :D

and its helpful when shooting from cover in things like paintball...

im right eye dominant but can still use left eye to aim without much difficulty and right foot dominant but cannot kick a ball properly left footed... so its seems to be really specific things...

oh and back when i was a smoker, i could smoke left handed (a lot of people have trouble flicking ash with opposite hand)
My dad could switch hit and once taught himself to write left handed in order to help one of his left handed students with their writing. I'm pretty severely right handed.
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

I dunno about any reddit, but there are a couple Facebook groups? Why, are we not enough for you? :p
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

That was on the battlebots subreddit, there's not a lot of antweight stuff on there, but I was showing off RBMK after winning AWS58.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

LimaHotel wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:26 pm I dunno about any reddit, but there are a couple Facebook groups? Why, are we not enough for you? :p
Lol!

I don't know, I think this is the coolest forum I've found on the subject. I just didn't know if there was a different one I was missing. I'm glad I don't have to go to Facebook, I don't use it. I wish I could say that I don't have an account, but I made an account, looked at some rocks (I'm a rockhound too) friended three people in Canada and abandoned it. Let fb eat that and screw up its algorithms...

I'm going to start a post on transmitters now.
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

GeorgeR wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:39 pm That was on the battlebots subreddit, there's not a lot of antweight stuff on there, but I was showing off RBMK after winning AWS58.
You should show that off. I guarantee any people who fight robots that love fallout will immediately see the vertibird connection. Plus truly transformative ideas are magic.

I'm a neuroscience professor and I am constantly looking for the next revolutionary ideas to bring into life. My specialty is outside the box thinking. My main focus right now is developing alternatives to animal drug testing using plants. So my favorite bots I see are the ones that are game changers, especially the odd ones. Rbmk, the mantis bot, the oragami bot (I'm sorry I don't know its name) the ones really unique.

Older ones are the fan bots, anticide (bc no one else I've seen in ants seems to have pneumatics) come to mind.