Team Rocket, Updates and Reports

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Kyro

Re: Team Rocket. Updates and Reports

Post by Kyro »

so finally, Mantis got the rebuild/redesign it deserved... it now grabs and lifts opponent's off the ground.

the last competition showed a flaw of me being able to grab but lacking grip to effectively move my opponent's where i wanted them. this iteration should hopefully solve that issue...

the main lifting servo needs replacing as it occasionally locks up (cheap turnigy servo's, not recommended as out of 6 purchased only 2 are working correctly)

both servo's are currently running off the 6v the bec allows so theres room for more power if needed... the top servo is just an mg90 but it plenty enough to get a good grip, the lifting servo is a 2.5kg "metal geared" servo which has metal gears apart from the first gear from the motor... the gearing sounds crunchy when it is actually not locked up so im going to get a few decently spec'd ones from banggood to test.

here is a video of Mantis in action... appologies for the poor video, its difficult both filming and controlling a bot so a garden chair tripod was the only option

https://youtu.be/OpvEGqUl8sQ

as i see it, i have around 3 months to complete Mantis and replace the servo's in my other 2 bots as well as replacing the 3 servo's in my son's and mrs's bots...

im sure i can achieve that in the time frame... but also need to build the drum spinner for my mrs's second bot (waiting on the last of the parts to arrive)

i will update on that build accordingly
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Kyro

Re: Team Rocket Robotics Updates and Reports

Post by Kyro »

so, its been a little while since i updated this... a few bots have changed, and new one has replaced one of my older bots... so...

Mantis

since the last post, the entire bottom half has been rebuilt... its slightly shorter than before and now sports a titanuim wedge... it still needs paint added to the bottom half, but i am moving house in a few days and paint has been packed away so that will have to wait... it also needs a little trimming and general tidying up here and there... i need to make a few spare risers on the wedge as these are sacrificial but are meant to help keep wheels away from the wedge when its being held...

Esper

the new build... i decided to make a 4wd flipper that looks different to the rest... so this one is wide... designed to fit diagonally into the cube... same basic parts as the rest of my 4wd range. i decided to make a "cute" looking bot because...

Dominus

completely redesigned front end complete with evil face. if its dark enough, the eyes glow red when its in motion...

all flippers are a bit slower than before so now i consider them lifters, however they have 3.5kg/cm torque and theres not much they wont lift...
i am waiting for some faster n20's to arrive (around 650rpm on a charged lipo) for my bots...

all currently are within weight allowance with some to spare, one has a spare 6g which i may use for a bit of extra armour...

plans for after my move... a 4wd shufflebot with stupidly large spinning bar... basically it will cause big damage... whether its to its opponent or its self is anyone's guess... but it will be powered from a 20amp afro esc, and a dys bldc (still waiting for them from china along with a servo i would like to test out) and it will have 1.2mm grade 5 titanium armour... i plan on making the spinning bar from 2mm o1 tool steel hardened and tempered down a fair bit so it will be springy but still decently hard...

i will update on the build of it as soon as i can begin properly...
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

WARNING! CONTAINS SPOILERS

check out the event video's on youtube before continuing...

so i attended the bbb event over in bristol.

i teamed up with my friend for the antweight 2v2's

he was using a bot i helped him build and i used the even newer and improved mantis Image

we managed to lose our first match up... terrible performance from both of us...

but then we got our act together and won a fair few fights...
mantis v4 performed really well doing what it was designed to do and picking up bots and dumping them into the pits...

we made the final of the 2v2 where we needed to win twice to win... first fight, we won after a little back and forth...

the second fight, ahhh the second fight... we practically cleaned up with relative ease...

1st place in the 2v2's :)

then it was on to the bodgebots XL event...

i had made a 4wd bot with a foam hand to slap other robots...

i outfitted the hand with a pin as a friend of mine had a baloon on his bot in the hopes of facing him... no dice...

i won every fight there and got myself another 1st place...

the bodgebots XL rumble... now im happy as there were 3 bots with baloons for me to poke fun at...

after the initial pile up, i managed to find 2 of the bots with baloons and pop them... the 3rd ended up outside the arena so i was unable to get it... a scary moment where i was nearly pushed out of the arena but managed to escape by the skin of my teeth, almost driving back over the offending bot... after this, i cleaned up the rest of the arena where it was just me and Rory left with his entry, pubcrawl... a walking?? i would say more rowing robot that was certainly the crowd favourite... i noticed the last baloon bot had edged within pin range outside of the pit so i popped it finally... gave pubcrawl a friendly little nudge then drove out of the arena... the crowd loved that pubcrawl won...

so i had 2nd place in the rumble...

finally, the 1v1's...

i decided to use esper... my first matchup was against my 2v2 partner with another bot i helped him build... a bit of push and shove and i came out with a win... i managed to lose a fight to a robot that looks like a pair of trousers... a very well driven bot...

after this i managed to win the rest of my fights and ended up facing my friend again and ultimately beat him again leaving him with a 4th place finish.

now im in the final... i need to beat my opponent twice to win due to my earlier loss... first match up i kept getting under him and avoiding his spinner... managed to get him into the pits...

second fight... ahh the second fight... i got under him most of the time apart from once where he managed a nice little chunk out of my flipper plate and destroyed my acetate... but i still got under him and pushed him into the pit.......

however i too went into the pit and therefore, it was a rematch for the final...

this is bad news for me... my acetate is all but gone by this point... the rematch was about as bad as it could have been... no acetate meant no more getting under him... and i kept taking the full force of his spinner... he was relentless and kept tossing me around the arena showing no mercy... after taking heavy damage to my flipper plate side panels and back panel i was finally put into the pit in spectacular style after being launched into the air and pushed into the pit...

esper looked in a pretty bad way... but still fully working...

so i managed to wrangle up a second place in the 1v1's...

overall i think i performed decently enough to come out of there with 2 first places and 2 second places...

it was a really fun day and an event i will happily attend again...

heres poor old esper after her beating

rebuild in the works now in time for the aws...
Last edited by Kyro on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Esper looks to have held up better than I'd expected! She's only 1mm polycarb, right?
Congrats! I'm sorry I couldn't make it.
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

yeah 1mm polycarb all round...

it actually held up better than i expected too... considering how much i was beaten up and smashed about from the spinner (have you seen the video?) i was expecting more damage... i mean there was plenty enough damage but it stayed in 1ish piece... i was expecting to need to sweep esper out of the arena after losing to a decent spinner...
i think the extra flex in the 1mm stuff probably helped...
although... esper is getting a rebuild...

spoiler

Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

You're going back to the carbon aramid? Ooooh, excited!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

i am... i have found a good ratio for my resin to get it decently hard....
however the shell i have made is a bit weighty so im going to use the wedge and use polycarb for the sides and back... hoping to keep my front aimed at any spinners and let the carbon aramid take the hits...

i have the front end attached and working already, its just a case of fine tuning and tidying it up then build sides and back from polycarb... heres hoping its all in weight when i am done
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Sounds very interesting must have a peak at that when its finished. :roll:
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

testing out the 4th version of mantis... has well over 200g of grab (my scales crap out at 200g)

https://youtu.be/h8vnIZ3GHS0
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

My one point of concern is mantis now looks like some kinda 3 fingered alien and not a mantis? O.o
Brilliant looking bot though man - I need to get on upgrading Jiggy if I want to keep pace!