Esc and Receiver

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

teamfirebrain

Esc and Receiver

Post by teamfirebrain »

Hi again, i'm back.
Now that uni is almost finished for the summer, I wanted some way to occupy some of the free time that I would otherwise waste!
My plan is to build another Robot, as as bad as Mildly Effective is, it's pretty reliable and I kinda like it as is. Because the transmitter for M.E is old and bound to the receiver, I decided to get a Devo 7e, which should arrive soon! I also have some n20's that may or may not work, but its been so long since I bought them, I don't remember what they are or where I got them from, and as for Lipo's, i've found a couple online, but haven't bought any yet. So all I need now is an ESC and a Receiver (?) and i'm not entirely sure what to look for. I've soldered before, but I haven't done any for a while and so i'm looking for something that is relatively easy to solder.
Any suggestions are welcome :D
Cheers
Matt
Matthew Walters
Team Fire(B)Rain
Ants- Mildly Effective-Functional?
Kyro

Re: Esc and Receiver

Post by Kyro »

a good cheap dual esc to use is the unbranded chinese 2x6a esc
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bidirectiona ... 4023576343

it can be found for around half that price from china as this is a uk seller.

hobbyking has a pretty decent deal on nano tech 2s 180mah lipo's... they sell in packs of 5 for less than 4 quid.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nan ... -5pcs.html

im no expert on devo compatible rx's as i use flysky stuff... so i would wait for someone with more experience to chime in regarding receivers.

you could also go for 2 smaller seperate esc's, but this would require soldering power wires together, switches together (if it had switches) and removing the red power line from one of the leads that plug into the rx. this would also require mixing via your devo.

i use bustophedon esc's in some of my bots, 2 wired together with a few inches of wire for all connections weighs in at around 13g, but they are small and fit into left over space relatively easily.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10A-Bustophe ... 5870656001

there is better stuff available from what i have posted, but these are the best bang for your buck and i have not had one of these esc's fail on me. (i had a lipo plugged into a pair of bustophedon's and blew a track on one when i accidentally shorted them together, i just soldered a wire across the track that blew and has been fine ever since)

steer clear of dasmikro esc's... they would be perfectly fine if they were built better, but they are notorious for having weak solder pads, and arriving pre dead.

my links are from uk sellers so if you wanted them faster these are ideal, but both of these are available from china, cheaper but with a longer wait.

hopefully this can help
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

To use your Devo, first you'll want to flash it. There's a good guide to this on Nuts&Bots.
Once it's flashed it supports... hang on, let me grab mine...
DSM2
DSMX
J6Pro
Flysky
... wow it goes on for ages.
Anyway, I use LemonRX feather no pin, get them in packs from the lemon website.
I entirely second the Hobbyking Lipos btw. As to speed controllers, you can't beat the good ones, but there are plenty of cheap ones.
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

LimaHotel wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:19 pm Once it's flashed it supports... hang on, let me grab mine...
DSM2
DSMX
J6Pro
Flysky
Just to note the devo 7e won't support flysky without a hardware mod. You'll want to use a dsmx or dsm2 receiver, and I would also recommend the lemonrx feather-light ones.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

I've got a working drive setup going that runs the unbranded chinese ESC. It's a bit on the large side but so long as you shorten the wires and cut off the massive copacitor they aren't too heavy. I use orange rx but that's just me.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
teamfirebrain

Post by teamfirebrain »

Hi again, bit delayed but so was the delivery! I've got myself some LemonRx feather light receivers and some LiPo's. Still unsure of what ESC to get but I have a few ideas. Also I was looking for some Plastic to make the bot out of. The last one was made entirely out of Polycarb, and although it worked pretty well, I had some issues with it. Any suggestions?
Matthew Walters
Team Fire(B)Rain
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Polycarb? That's the best plastic I can suggest. What kinda issues did you have with your last bot?
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
teamfirebrain

Post by teamfirebrain »

Im not sure if its to do with the polycarb i used but, it kept warping around the edges, making it difficult to use. Maybe I need to get some new stuff :roll:
Matthew Walters
Team Fire(B)Rain
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

were you using heat to bend it? if you use something like a vice to bend it cold it works fine in my experience... i have never had it warp before...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Best thing I've found for bending Polycarb is a cheap sheet-metal clamp, like welders use. These are the ones I got; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633 ... 000LFV9UO/

With those, I can bend 1mm pc with a little effort by pressing against the workbench - and 1.5mm with a bit of swearing. The jaws are around 10cm wide - so perfect size for antweights and you can over-bend (so it springs back to 90 degrees when released) much more easily than with a vice.

Pair of them and some cheap aviator snips is pretty much all you need for working Polycarb up to 1.5mm
Stuart (Tony's dad)