The Hotel Lima, for Ants: A Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

LimaHotel

Re: A Hotel, constructed of Limas, for Ants: A Build Diary

Post by LimaHotel »

I believe the 2 DasMikros my brother ordered were duds. I just soldered up the other, no problems. The bec works fine - receiver powers up and binds happily - but I got nothing on the motors. Grr arg.
I have one DasMikro left over that I KNOW works, so I'm gonna try wiring that in. These 2 boards he ordered look fine - I have no idea why they aren't playing.
I'd already decided the 6 dasmikros I'd ordered would be the last of them for me (6 is quite frankly enough), but this just cements it. I'd been lucky - never had a problem - but yeah.
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

you watch, it'll turn out to be a seized motor ;)
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

... Yes. I'll swap out the motors tonight, see if it's One of them. Off climbing now, so it'll have to wait
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Tested both motors - they spin happily. I think it really is a dud pair of DasMikros, which sucks. Ordered a couple of those 1-channel ones you suggested though Kyro - looking forwards to having a play with them! 10A means they should be able to run 10 wheel drive! :lol:
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Wired in my DasMikro - works fine. God damn it Banggood. I really hope my brother kept the packaging - I did tell him to.
On the plus side - he has a working brain he can now use!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

id love to see a 10wd bot... especially if you could get it in size and weight... the same esc's go up to about 30a though unsure if they have the same form factor... i think even 10a is a little overkill... but mantis v1 had 2x 40a esc's with 60a burst... each one had to handle the massive draw from a single n20
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

So I made a new wedgelet... And it's SO CUTE! Look at those little eyes! The little ears!
... I might need to make a cluster at some point. Clockwork mice sounds like a solid idea!
Out of curiosity, which receivers / escs / lipo sizes do people use for clusters?
IF I cluster, it'll be a little way off. I'd need to buy another transmitter for one. BUT I quite like the idea of having a few mice!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

well with my cluster its 2x flysky fs-gr3e rx 2x chinese 2-3s 5a esc's and 180mah nano tech... a couple of n20's wrapped up in some 1mm polycarb... weight is around 74g each

my flea weight weighs 74g also and has the same parts but also has a small turnigy servo to power a lifter...

i could save weight in my cluster if i really wanted/needed to relatively easily

i could also save some weight in my flea although it wouldnt be so easy...

you have 2 options with a cluster, 2 equal bots or one big and one small...

peter waller showed me his tiny cluster bots a few days ago and a stupidly small rx/esc combo that uses dsmx or dsm2 (cant remember exactly which) for spektrum tx... i kid you not, this thing was maybe 10mm long by probably 4-5mm high... im still not entirely convinced i was looking at the right part...
he also had a tiny 60mah 1s lipo to power them...
id suggest shooting him a message as he will be able to give you more info than i can...

if power is not a huge issue, you could run a regular rx from a 1s and use a couple of micro servo boards as esc's...

just replace the pot with a couple of resistors (or keep the pot, set to centre and glued in place)

this option would need another tx with mixing.

using the dual esc i use means you could use any transmitter to control the other half... my second tx is just a pistol grip flysky but works sufficiently...

flysky stuff is cheap and works really well... there is a 4 channel rx from flysky on banggood that weighs about a gram... comes with the pins you can solder to the board or keep pinless... not used this one though...

flysky uses ahfds/afhds2a protocol and so is not compatible with spektrum but worth having one solely for half a cluster to save having to bind tx's between fights...

i reccommend the fs-i6 tx (about £35 on ebay and comes with a 6 channel receiver that sends basic telemetry between the bot and transmitter)
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

6g left to figure out servo linkage and make any necessary tweaks (eg. Self righting horn on the back of the lifter servo, possibly horns on the side so it can't sit side on)

I've barely even thought about how I'll remake key grip, which is kinda stupid as I've had all the parts for him all along. I have thought about pushbot (such little thought as that required) - I'm waiting for different wheels and the bustophedon 10a escs for him. I'm really trying to work out how I could keep the original Scoop, but I may need to cut a new one. All the holes are in the wrong places for what I want :(
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

... I oopsed. So much for my early night!
Jiggy is done! I'm SO HAPPY! I have 3 little fins I want to stick on tomorrow to help him self right (sides and head), but the bot does it's thing and I am SO HAPPY
Pictures and video when I'm awake :lol: