Pink servo??

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Paulmchurd

Pink servo??

Post by Paulmchurd »

Stumbled across this on AliExpress while trying to find a replacement for the pink servo, which was discontinued apparently.

http://s.aliexpress.com/Njmiiaii

Seems to have all the same stats...happy buying!

Paul
Shakey

Re: Pink servo??

Post by Shakey »

You can find a large variety of alternatives by searching for '450 servo' or '450 heli servo'. There's a whole tree of servos copying each other. :D Saying that KST is a good name that keeps cropping up.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Ah that’s the key detail I’ve been missing, 450... I was searching HV or HT...so been stuck for what to use since the pink servo disappeared off hobbyking.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I have used these and they seem about the same spec but the wires come out the bottom.
https://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php?p ... area=Servo
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Why do people talk about the pink servo so much? When it seems there are plenty of alternatives that don’t seem to appear on this forum.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

The pink servo basically was the first fully fledged ready to go actual flipper servo we had. Now 'flippers' existed before then and some were capable of actual flips. But for the most part you'd really call them a lifter by today's standards, they didn't really have a 'throw' to their flips. Linkages were a bit of a struggle with a range of frankly pathetic powered servos, servos that'd die too easily or servos that while they had a lot of torque where frankly too slow (The 'Green' servo was the one before the pink servo that had ~6kg/cm of torque but was very slow). To add nearly all previous servos required a BEC to power them or were risky on straight 2S (Like the Park servos). There were some favourites like the HS82MG but I found it lacking in torque but it did have good average speed.

The pink servo was a bit of a game changer in that regards and was very easily available from hobbyking for quite cheap when it first appeared. I recall picking them up for £12. The weight of it wasn't too bad and by being happy on a 2S you eliminated the need for robust powerful BECs which are either large off the shelf or just not good enough. The range of alternatives grew over time but when you have a tried and tested that is cheaper then no real reason to try others. Plus one thing about the robotics community is that parts are only adopted once a number of 'early adopters' have proven them, such is going on with HW brushless drive and was happening to FW brushless drive (which has now found its feet). There is not really anything standing out much from experimenting people in regards to choice of servo right now, a lot of other stuff but not servos right now.

As to why people don't really tend to use anything other than it and the servos it copies/copies from/copied the same thing, frankly a lot of them just don't stack up. I personally love the pink servo as it really hit a balance of torque vs speed for our needs. Fairly cheap and lightweight I used it heavily in commissions as it'd make just about any linkage work.

In essence the pink servo (Hobbyking variant) was the preferred servo of it's group of identical servos. And that group of identical servos just had a really solid balance of stats for our needs over all the other groups.

EDIT: Eventually a new favourite will come along, and just like it's passed from component to component people will adopt the new one en masse because they get battle proven and trusted. Park HPX F's, HS82MGs, MG90's, Dys 1806s (Now Quanum 1806's), N20's (I remember when these weren't the go to!), 2s 180mah Turnigy Nanotech, Sabertooth 2x5A, NanoTwo's, Pololu 32mm Wheel; All trusted components that were used in a majority and have already been or will one day be superseeded.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Thank you for all the information, I’ve learnt a lot through reading it. I wish I’d started making robots years ago now, as I’ve not had to “discover” anything but use all the recommended parts instead...N20, polycarbonate and the pink servo.

I’ve been searching for a new servo since February, I thought I had discovered an unheard of servo... how wrong I was 😅.

I’ve been testing this recently, a little slower then the pink servo but it only costs £11, weights 7.3grams and the size of a micro servo. It certainly does not flip as well but it can flip and selfright the robot. It’s pretty close to being just as good as the pink servo. I had to 3D print a strengthening horn as the 20T supplied one was very weak.

http://s.aliexpress.com/EBzENJZf

Paul
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I just got 3 of these D0474HT servos and they look and feel like a really nice little servo but I still need to try them in combat. As Paul says not quite as powerful as the pink ones but at full 2 cell operation and half the cost and weight well worth a try and only 10 days from order to arrival quite quick for china plus I got emails telling me when it was dispatched, received in the Uk and arrived at the local post office so great service.
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Can someone give me a real quick breakdown as to why this one would be a bad idea? From my understanding of the numbers, it just looks... good. And I highly suspect I'm missing something.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FATJAY- ... 88572.html?
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

@Peter I think they will be very good for nanoweights.

@lima. They look amazing...The 10kg of torque could be a lie though, Chinese sellers have been known to lie...it is definitely worth a buy and do a test on them. Nice find.