3D printer supplies

Places to spend cash or learn things!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Re: 3D printer supplies

Post by peterwaller »

The last thing you want is me looking over your shoulder but it might be useful for the dartboard.
You and I may well approach robot building from different directions but diversity of design and construction is one of the best parts this hobby of ours.
DieGracefullyRobotics

Post by DieGracefullyRobotics »

Hear hear. Plus I like losing to you.
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics - Barely Even a Proper Team.
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Hello,

Inspired by your awesome builds I finally gave up and bought a 3D printer 😵. Antweight building seems to step up another level with 3D printing. It’s not arming untill June. However it comes with no filiment except a small sample. On the website a spool is £21 for 1KG!!! Then on eBay it’s £10... will the quality be a notable difference. Should I be investing in premium filament? Or is it really not worth the extra pounds.

Thanks for your time.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Maybe ask someone in your local Hackspace.

Our 3d printer guru chap gets the materials, I think we buy bulk PLA. I will check what filament the "Drax" robot shell was made with.

I think it is worth going with a reputable supplier even for the cheap stuff, in my opinion, because at least you'll get consistency. The problem with the ebay / no-name filaments is that they might be great - but perhaps the next batch will be awful.

Also I've heard stories about the 2.85mm nominal filaments jamming because they make them too wide. Good suppliers make them very close to 2.85, but some dodgy ebay stuff is over 3mm, which is typically about when the machine jams. It's not always the same width through the whole reel.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Great choice on entering the world of 3D printing! You wont regret it :)
Having worked the last 7 years in a 3D printing and model making business - I have gone through lots of printers and lots of materials from the £10 a kilo to the £500+ a kilo :lol: .
The bottom line is - if you value your time at anything; It's worth spending on better filament.

When you consider £25 for a kg. And an entire chassis for an antweight will use perhaps, 20-30g of filament. You are looking at 75p a chassis or 40p a chassis if you go the most budget route. Worth spending those extra pennies ;)

More expensive filament is more dimensionally accurate (reliable prints, less chance of a jam) , generally has better additives for lubrication. (more important with bowden tube FDM printers, but still important for others), better layer adhesion (stronger in a fight) and will generally cause you much less headache and failed prints, from my experience.
And there is nothing more annoying than coming back 8 hours later to a mess of wasted time and filament! :lol: 35p is worth that ten times over!

I would recommend Rigid Ink

Use this link you get £5 off first purchase. https://goo.gl/vKabzV
https://rigid.ink/products/abs-2-85-mm- ... -tolerance
They also do lots of small samples which you can trial. As well as exotic materials like nylon, polycarbonate or carbon fiber. (sorta)

Other good ones i have used is the Monsterfil brand.

Store the roll of filament in an airtight box like this
https://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/home-s ... ound-p2155

With some silica gel to keep the moisture away. And out of direct sunlight.
Then it will last for a long time :D
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Hi, your Drax shell was

Colorfabb's economy black PLA.

https://colorfabb.com/pla-economy-black

Unfortunately it's in 2.2kg rolls.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Thanks guys for your reponses. Cleared up a lot of questions I had. Much appreciated.

I may use that £5 off next pay day. 🙂
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

Just dropping in to say a thanks for all the info! This payday has gotten me a Creality Ender 3, 300g of green ABS filament (used rigid ink), and some sample filament.

Can't wait to try it all out! :D
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I went to the TCT exhibition at the NEC yesterday and saw this auto tool changing on a 3D printer being demonstrated.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4gWYOzHxQ
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

peterwaller wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:44 pm I went to the TCT exhibition at the NEC yesterday and saw this auto tool changing on a 3D printer being demonstrated.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4gWYOzHxQ
Wow so clever. I bet a little expensive. I’m looking forward to when they combine 3D scanners with a 3D printer. Scan your item and have it printed!