Wheely big Help...

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Bad Wolf

Wheely big Help...

Post by Bad Wolf »

Hey guys, just after abit if help, I have an event next week, and I’m entering 3 Ants and the third Ant is a 4 motored flipper bot, sadly out of the 6 motors I ordered only 3 of them are the same speed (fast) and the others are hopelessly slow! I did originally have the slow ones set up, but after 30 seconds of driving it I wanted to fall asleep, also all of my other motors I have left over from other builds are all too slow also.

So basically just wondering if there is any way around this problem or a quick fix? All 4 motors don’t really need to be there as I’ve just soldered the 4 motors into pads for 2 motors, so it’s not like I’m gaining anything extra from them? I just needed the 4 for the design of the bot (based on Bronco from battle bots)

Atm the bot does drive but that 4th wheel jumps and bounces as it’s not moving at the same speed as the others, I did think about having some sort of fake wheels that just turned with out any motors, but not sure how I would go about that :/ any help would be great!

Thanks Bad Wolf
Ant Ipodean

Re: Wheely big Help...

Post by Ant Ipodean »

Perhaps try running 3S (3 x 1S in series) on the slower motors, if your ESCs can handle it?
Alternatively, you could remove the final gear cluster from an N20 gearbox to make the output shaft into an idler, for a non powered wheel.
Without knowing your full setup, these are just ideas to get by in the interim.

Mike.
Bad Wolf

Post by Bad Wolf »

Thanks Mike, I think removing the gear would be the best idea, never done that before but Ill give it a try :)

Bad Wolf
Ant Ipodean

Post by Ant Ipodean »

Hmmm. I've never disassembled one (in an orderly way) either.
Now I look closely, the gearhead is riveted together, so you may ruin it for future use if you prise it apart.
Just undo the 2 screws to remove the motor, and leave it off.
The gears should idle around fairly freely.
If you are mounting the motor with the plastic saddle clamp type holder, you may need to move it along a bit to fully capture the gearbox.
Bonus weight saving by removing the motor(s) :)

Mike.
Bad Wolf

Post by Bad Wolf »

I don't really every want to use it again, So im not worried about that, its far too slow sadly. But yeah Ill remove the 2 screws and then what the gears will slide off? Yeah I'm mounting it with the plastic clamp from Nuts and bots site.

Ohhh So should I be taking the actual silver metal motor bit out? and then just leaving the gears and brass looking metal section ? and then the clamp fixes onto the brass colour section? Should I just try and saw the metal motor away from the gear section? :/

I do massively need to save some weight hahaha so could be helpful!

Bad Wolf
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

Assuming these are the N20 motors, I'd just unscrew it via the two crosshead screws that you can see when looking at the output shaft. Having just done it to a old motor I have, the whole brass section (plus the gears) just comes away as one part so you should just be able to clamp that down and use that, noting that there will still be some drag because of the gear assembly.
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen
Bad Wolf

Post by Bad Wolf »

Ocracoke wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:56 pm Assuming these are the N20 motors, I'd just unscrew it via the two crosshead screws that you can see when looking at the output shaft. Having just done it to a old motor I have, the whole brass section (plus the gears) just comes away as one part so you should just be able to clamp that down and use that, noting that there will still be some drag because of the gear assembly.
Yeah mate they are the N20s, Ive just ordered 4 new ones as they said they were next day delivery, so should have plenty of time, but I am going to dismantle that slow one just to have a go and see if I can do it ( Also in case the 4 new motors are also randomly really slow haha )

Everything else is pretty much good to go on the bot though :) Cant wait!

Bad Wolf