Newbie - DasMikro Burnout

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Dadam

Newbie - DasMikro Burnout

Post by Dadam »

Hello roboteers.
Another Newbie here, surrounded by a lot of smoke :o and in need of some advice please before causing any more damage due probably to stupidity.
I am building an antweight with my son using parts which seem to be standard (DasMikro 2s6A, n20 6v 600rpm, gearmotors, lemon rx, tgy-306 servo and 7.4v lipo).
We soldered them up and did the binding with a dx6i. Initially all was good. Motors ran (with both sticks) and the servo moved using the gear switch. So we patted ourselves on the back.
THEN (while driving the motors) SMOKE and then SMALL FIRE from one of the motor chips on the DasMikro. The other motor and the servo are still working.
I have another DasMikro (as we were going to build 2 robots) but don't want to burn that one out as well.
Any ideas on what could be the cause.

My thoughts

We didn't solder on capacitors

We didn't wire the motors up any particar way round (+ and -)

Dodgy motor (although both were running at the same speed)

We have the servo (for a flipper) connecter to the 5v out on the DasMikro and to the gear control on the Rx (is this normal?)

A search for "DasMikro burn" didn't come up with any similar problems (surprisingly) so any help would be appreciated.
Paulmchurd

Re: Newbie - DasMikro Burnout

Post by Paulmchurd »

I’m a novice with all this so sorry if I get information wrong. Some of the more knowledgable people will show up eventually.

I didn’t solder on my capicitors. I also ran my dasmikro the same way as you have. Mine didn’t work at first because I made a short between some soldering. Now it works great with the same build as you except a Turnigy reciever.

However I have read on differnt forums and seen on some YouTube videos that the dasmikro can randomly burn out with faulty chips. You could try and send it back to banggood as they have replaced them in the past if they test and see the chip is faulty.

There are quiet a few dasmikro threads on this forum.

http://robotwars101.org/forum/viewtopic ... kro#p59465

This guy burnt out 2 Dasmikro.
Isioviel

Post by Isioviel »

This also just happened to me 2 days ago - scared the life out of me!
I was pretty sure I hadn't shorted anything, so emailed Banggood a picture of the blackened chip and they're sending me a new one, no issues :).

Just soldered up my second one but haven't tested it yet, keeping my fingers crossed...
Bad Wolf

Post by Bad Wolf »

I too am a Noob but something similar happened to me last week, a Smoking DasMikro! I feared the worst when I saw/smelt it. However I quickly unplugged the Lipo and really spent time going over every solder point, and making sure nothing was touching, and then tested it and it has been working fine since! So hopefully yours can be saved!

Bad Wolf
Dadam

Post by Dadam »

Thanks for the replies. I will contact Banggood and see what they say. Don't think it can be saved :(
ScreenHunter_277 Mar. 07 20.51.jpg
ScreenHunter_277 Mar. 07 20.51.jpg (77.33 KiB) Viewed 9828 times
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

it happened to me today, too.

wired up properly, with no shorts (copied my other dasmikro). attached everything and powered up the circuit without turning on the tx. waited a bit.. all seemed fine. turned on the tx and wiggled the stick, and the motors moved.. then puff, pop, fire and i pulled the battery.

seems one of the small chips died. will attach a photo when i take one (never thought of sending to banggood - will do that!)

the only thing different to my other setup is the motors - they're Chinese n20s of indeterminate power. 400rpm, supposedly.
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

There seems to be a serious problem with the current batch of Das Mikros, previous ones were okay and they worked fine as ESCs. However there seems to be a very high failure rate with their current stock, I've been seeing random firey death posts about Das Mikros on here and the facebook groups a lot lately. Likely a bad batch of chips or a breakdown in ESD handling of a bunch but in any case, bad times.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Fulford

Post by Fulford »

This worries me slightly as I'm planning to use a dasmikro in my build :o hopefully you'll get some good news from banggood
First ant under construction :o
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Dasmikro need to release v2 with pinholes as well for easier soldering.

There are plenty of other EScs available. If your Transmitter has mixing you can buy 2 10A esc off eBay for £10 and splice the wires together to share a battery. They are just very heavy for an antweight.
Last edited by Paulmchurd on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

Paulmchurd wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 pm If your Transmitter has mixing you can buy 2 10A esc off eBay for £10 and splice the wires together to share a battery. They are just very heavy for an antweight.
I was thinking of doing that. Even though one of my DasMikros is working, I don't like the unpredicatability - I feel like it might explode at any moment! :-?

Speaking of which, here's what happened to mine:

The chip directly beneath it on the other side of the board also looked like it had a bubble.
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot