Team Dudge build diaries.

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Derek Dudge

Re: First time building diary: Third Law

Post by Derek Dudge »

Ohhh, and quick photo update of where I'm at :-)

The motor mount/bracket thingies are all hot glued together for now. I'm not convinced that glue is strong enough. Before I paint the thing and actually attach any internals, I may reglue it with something else. Not sure yet.

upload picture to url
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

So transmitter handset is ordered, got a devo 7e to go with the nano. Getting there with the shopping list now, only a few things left that i need.

Small update on building - the hot glue joins for the motor mountings was nonsense. Didn't stand up well to a bit of stress testing. I have totally redone those with epoxy glue and an much happier with them.

And the armour is painted! Now....I'm under no illusions, I have no doubt that his paint job will last all of about 0.001 seconds against the spinning abominations he might face. That's fine, he's not expected to come out the arena looking quite as groomed as he went in 😂 it can be repainted haha. Couldn't resist the temptation to paint him up though, it's the hobby model builder part of me chiming in.

Weight wise, what I have + the battery I still need plus a micro switch is 147.2g. I need to fit in the connections (wire plus solder plus the little LED and resistor. There are actually a few places in the chassis I can drill if needs be, but possibly it will be ok.

Oh and the ESC and battery are getting fastened in with velcro tape I reckon.

Getting there! Waiting on the postman before I can do next bits now.

Last edited by Derek Dudge on Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My robots:

Kaazmin

Post by Kaazmin »

Looks amazing, is it going to be at Ant Freeze 5 ??
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

I don't actually know. I haven't signed up for the main competition because I am still waiting on things getting delivered and I dunno if it will be ready.

I want to come to ant freeze, even if I don't fight, just to see what it's all about. If it turns out I can get there (working on a lift) plus if I get wiring etc done, I'll bring him with in case there's chance to maybe test him out once the proper matches are done.

Full disclosure - I have zero experience driving these things. This competition probably came around too soon for me to be a legit competitor.
My robots:

Kaazmin

Post by Kaazmin »

that's all cool ^-^ my first bot was awful and slow, u can usually sign up on the day btw ^-^ it's always good to do the fights and see where your bot can improve if it needs it :D plus everyone there will surely give u some tips :D
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

Full disclosure - I have zero experience driving these things. This competition probably came around too soon for me to be a legit competitor.
I'd come along anyway (and am doing with my hastily rebuilt Antweight), it is a good opportunity to see these things in real life and have a chance at competing in a arena. Looks darn neater than my Ant at any rate ;)
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Yeah for sure I want to. And I think it should be fne, just waiting on a buddy saying for sure he can drop me off.

If he says, aye, and I think he will, then it becomes race against time (and the postman) to see if the thing can be finished in time.

But if its not ready, as I say, I'd still like to come see the competition.
My robots:

Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Some progress!

Some more of my stuff got delivered. Still waiting on a few bits, mainly the switch and the resistors so I can put the LED on, but some more stuff did come and progress had been made lol.

Hopefully still on course for Ant Freeze 5!

I set up my transmitter with the dsm2 software and binded up. And I have got all the motors running the desired direction etc. I have learned I am terrible at soldering. Some of the connections are not pretty. It works though.

My robots:

Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Bit of an update. Almost everything got delivered now. Only thing still waiting on postman for is resistors for my led headlight, and that's fine, if that doesn't get delivered it will be a shame but it won't stop me going to Ant freeze.

Have had a mini crisis with the ESC, damaged a chip on it. Probably you've seen my panicked other post about it. Rory says it's fixable though. Phew! I been having a good look at it and trying to work out what I did. It's not any of the motor connections, they are not able to touch each other. I do think I figured out what I did though. I have wires attached between battery and esc for my LED, but without the resistor they not actually connected up to anything. I must have brushed that wire against a motor case or one of the other connections. That is the only way I can think the short out happened.

Major lesson learned. Should have covered the bare end of those wires whilst waiting for the other components. I won't do that again! I'm just relieved Rory can fix it on the day. It leaves me in the hilarious situation of first time I ever get to drive my bot will be at a competition, but that's fine. All fun and games.

I now have pololu wheels as well as Shakeys ones. They are only slightly bigger, 32mm vs 30, but I think that 1mm top and bottom is necessary. Was gonna be a little rub-its-belly-along on the smaller ones, clearance was virtually zero.

I prefer the look and width of the tyres on Shakeys wheels, but the tiny extra hight, combined with them being thinner and therefore quite a bit lighter (almost a gram less on each) makes me think the pololu ones are the best pick. Means I already have wheels for the next project down the line I suppose.

And so, I managed to finally weigh it will everything all here (well, except a resistor) and...... 150.3g! That ain't bad at all :-) I'll squeeze a few more holes in somewhere.

Tomorrow and Friday I will finish tinkering about. Bit nervous that I can't test drive before getting the ESC mended but it should make Saturday interesting if nothing else!
My robots:

Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Final pre ant freeze update.

So I've done what I can pending getting the ESC repaired on Saturday. Still feel a bit of a pillock about that but ah well. Live and learn.

So the light and resistor are connected. Paint touched up. Battery is velcro fixed in place.

The switch and light are connected to esc power wire. These, along with the blue wires to connect to rear motors, I have not fastening in so the ESC is accessible to be mended. The switch and light will just be a blob of hot glue to fix in though.

Weight is 149g without one final part - the heat shrink i had to cut off the ESC. The piece I removed was 1g so should be all gravy.

Looking forward to Ant freeze. It will be a damn miracle if I make it past first round of matches, and really I'll just be happy if it works and drives in a straight line.

Will update this thread after the event with how it all goes 8)

My robots: