Shufflebot walking mechanism?

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Nixon

Shufflebot walking mechanism?

Post by Nixon »

Tempted to build a shufflebot soon but can't quite get my head around the shuffling mechanism. Tried googling it but all that comes up is a Daft Punk-esque musican with a cardboard box for a head. Has anyone got a good photo of the mechanism that I can reverse engineer?
Rapidrory

Re: Shufflebot walking mechanism?

Post by Rapidrory »

Have a look at my build of Skutter: http://robotwars101.org/forum/viewtopic ... &start=330

The legs are all see through so you can see how they're put together :P
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Nixon

Post by Nixon »

Perfect, might have a crack to modeling one this weekend :D
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

i'm still perfecting the mechanism for my fleaweight walker but i'll let you know effective it is when i get there. :) nice to see someone else attempting one.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Another slightly more complex mechanism is to have 2 sets of the offset cams roating in sync with each other. Normally 3 or 5 gears in the train.

The whole leg moves around in a circle. but stays level with the ground. This is how kwijebo and ickle work.
TEAM GEEK!
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

i'm going to have to rethink my mechanism as my current one just doesn't work. i'm thinking maybe a small motor driven cam driving a rode with the leg connected to it with an unpowered cam at the the other end of the rod. sounds simple but it almost certainly will not work at least not well enough to be by any realistic means competitive. i think my current mechanism could possibly still work if it was mounted verticly so i think i'll try that first. if it works i'll post pictures and full explanation. wish me luck :)
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I had a similar concept to that with Mecha-Spall, and it...well, it moved, I wouldn't reccommend it for anything serious XD I had to weigh the legs down quite significantly to make sure the motion worked, although that may have been bad design...
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

here's where i've got to so far. i've discovered a leg mechanism that's probably just about simplest thing ever to build. all it involves is a rotating cam that drives the main leg part between two stop barriers to create a stepping motion.
Attachments
HNI_0098_MPO.JPG
HNI_0098_MPO.JPG (96.44 KiB) Viewed 9859 times
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Walking mechanisms are really easy to make if you just want to have a go at one. Some of my most pleasing to drive creations have been simple walkers (Pulled Apart by Horsebot and Lead Piping in the Billiard Room especially). They just do rubbish in the arena, and never work as well for me on the arena surface as, say, the kitchen floor.
The hard bit is making a walker competitive. This element tends to either come from a slightly more complex, well built mechanism, or such a good weapon that the limited movement doesn't matter much. Or Kwejiboom, which has both.

One day we'll hopefully get the walker equivalent of a Drillzilla or an Anarchy, though we're still the only weight class to have a walker as a major champion.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Please make a competitive robot using that walking mechanism, it would be amazing :)

A good walking mechanism ideally needs to be smooth and fast, basically so that it's not much different to using wheels.
If Skutter's was better machined, 3D printed or ran on Pololu HP motors it'd be great; as it is it's a little stiff and keeps jamming up/ falling apart.
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc