motor powered axe.

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Hogi

motor powered axe.

Post by Hogi »

hi guys. i am looking at possibly making an axe for Hogi. this weapon would mainly be for self righting purposes. would an unmodified servo board with the motor removed and replaced with a geared motor do the trick? this would be plugged into the throttle pins of the reciever.
thanks.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Shakey

Re: motor powered axe.

Post by Shakey »

That would work though I'd still replace the pot on the servo board with resistors as it can't be used with the geared motor and would just cause trim issues. You'd need a beefy servo board though like a park HPX F board.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

The 'proper' way to do this (I think!) is to use something like a Scorpion Mini/Wasp to control the motor, and use the limit switch function on those controllers with some detect switches or microswitches to turn the axe off at each end of its throw so the robot doesn't beat itself up too much. I've been working on and off on an axe antweight for the last few years using that mechanism (hopefully finishing it this year!), but it's a bit involved for just a self righter...

You can just get away with using a motor without limiting its travel - Dave Weston does with Baby Hell - but you need to then have quite a sturdy robot and very quick reflexes and possibly a modified transmitter switch to handle and limit the self-abuse, all of which he does and I don't :)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

If its more just for self fighting Dan, could you not just use a servo axe? Would be a lot simpler. Or a claw. Hogi would be great with a claw. And you could engineer it to self right.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

i do have a spare servo that i could use. i tried using a tiny servo from a broken rc hellicopter the other day but it wasn't strong enough. i'll try making a self righter with a big servo.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

AntWithTopHat still uses a modified SG90 for its axe which hasn't changed since the first version. If you run the servo at around 6V like I do, you should have enough torque to self right as well as hit or grab things with some force quickly enough. :-)
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

i found another 6 gram servo and had a go with that as i wanted to keep my 15 gram servo as a spare one. it has enough power to make the robot self right but i dare not use it on a grabber as that would put it under sustained pressure and i don't think it'd cope with that for very long. thanks for all your help guys. pictures and maybe a vid of it to come later. :)
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Awesome! Can't wait to see it.
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

after a little more programming with the transmitter, i.e: trim setting, channel reverse and travel adjust, the new self righting arm works really well. thanks to everyone who replied, you have all been very helpfull. below are a couple of pictures of the self righting system, it's very basic looking but it does it's job well. full AWS team photo to come soon. thanks again chaps! :) :) :)
Attachments
HNI_0092_MPO.JPG
HNI_0092_MPO.JPG (104.34 KiB) Viewed 8112 times
HNI_0091_MPO.JPG
HNI_0091_MPO.JPG (107.55 KiB) Viewed 8112 times
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Good stuff. I look forward to losing to it again.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39