AWS 45 - Coventry - 1st November 2014

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

EpicentrE

AWS 45 - Coventry - 1st November 2014

Post by EpicentrE »

Antweight World Series 45, presented by Epic Robotics

Registration Page: Click Here
Entry List: Click Here
Rules: Click Here

Whitley Academy, Abbey Road, Coventry, CV3 4BD.
Google Maps Link

If anyone wants any pointers regarding directions then feel free to ask, but I figure with the abundance of route-planning websites, satnavs, and smartphones, it probably isn't necessary to write them here.

Site

Here's a map of the site:

Venue

The event will be taking place in the academy's auditorium:

There will be fixed cameras on the arena, which will be linked up to a HD projector to ensure the action is visible wherever you are. The chairs that you see in the picture will be out, with the arena set up at the bottom, so there will be plenty of space if you just want to relax and watch the fighting.

The Academy is somewhat protective of the room; while I don't expect us all to tiptoe around with slippers on, please try to avoid dropping/spilling food and drink, using power tools which will fill the carpet with shards of metal, etc.

Schedule

09:00 - 10:30 Setup, Registration and Tech Checks
10:30 - 12:00 Warmup Tourament
10:30 - 12:00 Fleaweight World Series
12:00 - 13:00 Lunch
13:00 - 17:00 Antweight World Series
13:00 - 15:00 Nanoweight World Series
17:00 - 18:00 Prizegiving & Just For Fun - Annihilators, Tag Team etc.
18:00 - 18:30 Clean Up and Pack Away

Events

Warmup Tournament - This will be a non-spinner contest, with a maximum of one robot per team allowed to enter. It will run in the main arena side-by-side with the Fleaweight World Series in the morning, and thus, a team may only enter either this tournament or the FWS. It will run on a full double-elimination system, and uneven numbers of robots will be handled by byes being distributed randomly during the draw. This tournament will be recorded, but will most likely not be shown on stream.

Fleaweight World Series - The FWS will take place in a secondary arena side-by-side with the Warmup Tournament in the morning, and thus, a team may only enter either this tournament or the Warmup. It will run on a full double-elimination system, and uneven numbers of robots will be handled by byes being distributed randomly during the draw. This tournament will be recorded and shown on stream.

Nanoweight World Series - The first inaugural NWS will take place in the afternoon alongside the opening rounds of the AWS. It will run on a full double-elimination system, and uneven numbers of robots will be handled by byes being distributed randomly during the draw. Unfortunately, this tournament will neither be recorded nor shown on stream, however if someone wishes to bring a camera with which to record it they would be most welcome.

Antweight World Series - The event will take place in the main arena, and will run on a full double-elimination system, with uneven numbers of robots will be handled by byes being distributed randomly during the draw. The entire event will be recorded and shown on stream.

Fun Stuff - After the main tournament has ended, depending on how much time we have, we may run some just-for-fun tournaments. These may include a tag-team tournament, annihilators, etc. Details of these tournaments will be decided on the day, dependant on various factors. At some point during this time, the prizegiving will also occur.

Stream

Coming Soon

Additional Information

Food and Drink - There will be a table set up with light refreshments, such as crisps and biscuits. There will also be cold drinks.

For lunch, people are of course welcome to bring their own, but there is an Asda just 5 minutes walk away, as well as a chip shop which is just a few minutes away by car.

Donation

To help me cover the costs of the venue hire, streaming equipment, and to put towards future events, I am allowing people to make donations if they so wish. If you do wish to help out in this way, then I am recommending a donation amount of £1 per robot, up to a maximum of £5. However, this is definitely only a suggestion; you are free to donate as much or as little as you wish. You can either follow this link to donate via PayPal, or you can give it to me on the day if you prefer. I will also be setting up a donation button on the stream so that viewers who wish to see more Antweight events streamed in the future can give me their support. Once again, both the act of donating and the amount of said donation are entirely optional.
Last edited by EpicentrE on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Rhys

Re: AWS 45 - Coventry - Date TBD

Post by Rhys »

Oh dear, 25th is the weekend of the wife's birthday. How well do you think a romantic weekend to Coventry would go down? :P

I voted 1st Nov, but you can consider that a vote for anything but 25th November.

Glad to hear you're definitely doing the next one though, AWS 39 was a good laugh.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Rhys, you can vote for multiple options ;). Would you like me to edit your vote to include the 8th as well?
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

1st of November is our first wedding anniversary and Gemma has stated she thinks attending an AWS on that to be entirely appropriate. My wife is awesome.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Ah, yes please! Didn't realise we could pick more than 1 date.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Just over a week left to vote for the date of the AWS! Thus far it's looking like we won't have to choose a date that excludes anyone, which would be nice :).
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

1st of november is foreseeably fine for us.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
daveimi

Post by daveimi »

Hoping to be at this (don't have a robot yet tho haha). I reckon I can do Coventry and back in a day from Blackpool. What time do you guys normally start and finish?
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Typical times are turn up at 10am and finish at 5pm. But that's ultimately up to the event organiser. And if you're unlucky enough to get knocked out early, you can leave a lot sooner! And Blackpool to Coventry should be no issues in a single day. I think my longest was Cardiff to pontefract and back in a single day.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I'm glad to say that one date was the unanimous winner in the poll, with no-one who responded stating that they could not make it.

AWS 45 will be held on the 1st November 2014. I'll update the thread in the near future with further information.