Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Outstanding
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
alasdair

Re: fleas

Post by alasdair »

So the new Flea is done.

Naturally, I have finished redesigning the entire chassis within the hour.

I am happy with it, but I know I could probably do better with time. The new chassis is slightly wider and longer so it can incorporate side armor also, but the current design is what we will be running at AWS next week!
So here he is in his current form, Salt:

The front scoops are made from 2 mil HDPE and carbon fibre, and the top plates are also carbon fibre.

Why Salt you ask? Because the next one is going to be called Pepper of course.
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

For those interested, here is the new design:

The one on the right is the current robot chassis, and the left is the new design. It has a top plate also.

As you can see it is slightly larger with tabs for affixing sides and an extended front plate. There is also a lot more space inside, and most of the walls have almost halved in thickness so it will weigh the same if not lighter than the current design.
haz

Post by haz »

Quit making us all look bad :P
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

This is just about a year of stifled robotic creativity being unleashed in a small space of time. I will most likely run out of steam after about a month and end up returning to the days of drilling holes in my robot the night before to get it underweight.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Superb. Seriously, top notch work guys! Its got champion written all over it.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Just ran into an unexpexted problem with Deflea. Up to now it had all been going well if lacking a bit of grip so I finally bit the bullet and put lint roller rubber on the tracks. This greatly increased the grip but I found the the standard lego drive wheels which just have a slot to keep the tracks on were slipping inside the track under load conditions. The tracks themselves have teeth that sit in the grove but there is nothing mechanical the engages with them.
The solution has been to design a new drive wheel that seems to work well.
Bigconkers

Post by Bigconkers »

EpicentrE wrote:I love to see people pushing the boundaries of what can be fit into the size and weight limits - great job!
I find it amazing. i am so impressed too. I will admit I was never really taken with the smaller side of the fighting machines but i am being sucked right in.
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

Well, the new flea performed abysmally. It lost its only two fights within about 30 seconds. It is clear that he needs some quicker motors. The new chassis also incorperates sides.

I have ordered up some 10:1 ratio motors so he will go from abysmally slow to ridiculously fast. This is a good change in my eyes,