AWS 39 - Coventry - November 3rd, 2012

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: AWS 39 - Coventry - November 3rd, 2012

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Sounds fair to me Scott. I'd quite like to watch it back as a whole with commentary and everything. :-)
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Psychostorm

Post by Psychostorm »

You could use a list of YouTube timecode links to the individual fights.

I can't wait to hear what the audio transcriber makes from our commentary.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Video of the main event is up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbIm--JCXh8

Please let me know if there're any issues.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

The sound ends up getting behind the video when I watch it, or is that something to do with my computer?
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
James

Post by James »

Psychostorm

Post by Psychostorm »

EpicentrE wrote:Video of the main event is up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbIm--JCXh8

Please let me know if there're any issues.
One issue for me. I was really hoping to get a giggle from watching the machine auto transcriber rip apart the commentary but I can't seem to find a Close caption button. Is there a setting on the video editor you could change.

Sucks for me cos atm my speakers are on the blink. Kinda not worth watching.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Think we can get these headsets for the next AWS ? I am rather enjoying the commentary :)

Speaking of which, whats your favourite bit of commentary/favourite commentator ?
Psychostorm

Post by Psychostorm »

razerdave wrote:Think we can get these headsets for the next AWS ? I am rather enjoying the commentary :)
I'd quite like to know what head phones they were. Nice to have a mike I know works well.

I'm wondering whether the Coopers will take heed?
Speaking of which, whats your favourite bit of commentary/favourite commentator ?
I quite enjoyed that Razerdave bloke...
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

If anyone has any feedback on the commentary and stream, it would be greatly appreciated.

Given how warm the reception to it was, and how positive the feedback thus far has been, I've been considering bringing a streaming service to other events in the future. However, such a thing wouldn't be free; a big chunk of the equipment I used belonged to the school, and so I'd need to buy some bits and bobs to make it possible. Additionally, what I used was really the bare minimum (in cost) to get it working; if it was going to be a more regular thing, I'd want some better equipment.

So this is what I've been thinking; I ask for donations. Nothing major, just whatever people feel like they want to give. All the money would go towards streaming equipment, software, and travel costs. I'd ask both on here, and also to any viewers of the streams. The hope would be that in the future, if we end up getting a reasonable amount of viewers on the streams (and I'd be planning to promote them very heavily anywhere and everywhere, now that I know it works), the streams could be monetised with adverts and sponsors, which would pay for future equipment and travel. Additionally, if all event videos were uploaded to a centralised location (such as a YouTube channel), I could also monetise that which would also help.

Additionally, any money and donations would also go towards transporting the new arena to events.

This is all just thoughts and brainstorming at the moment, but please let me know what you think.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Have you got a ballpark figure in mind Scott? I know that's difficult to gauge, but it would be silly to have, say, two people give a fiver and then no-one else, and then for that money to just get lost in costs before even the next event. Happy to pay to help cart the arena round too, though I know Will has plans for a bigger arena in Reading anyways.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39