AntWeight Parts Online & Offline

Places to spend cash or learn things!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

James

Re: AntWeight Parts Online & Offline

Post by James »

Individually they weigh 3.2g each, but if you add the 4 screws to attach a wheel they weigh 4.6g each, this would be plus whatever wheel you decide to add to them.

In comparison the small pololu wheels(about 30mm) weigh 3.2g each.

so they're quite a bit heavier than using the polulu wheels once you've attached a wheel to them, but they do give you more freedom when it comes to what size wheel you use :)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Yeah, that's pretty good. I never really have a problem with weight. Not on the robots at least! :lol:
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Looking for some advice on 2.4Ghz transmitters. I bought a DX6i a few years ago, but the price now is a lot more than I paid. Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonable priced transmitter?

I am also looking some a cheap brushless esc. Robotbirds do a 6A one, has anyone tried this on 3 cells?

Thanks
TEAM GEEK!
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

James wrote:Individually they weigh 3.2g each, but if you add the 4 screws to attach a wheel they weigh 4.6g each, this would be plus whatever wheel you decide to add to them.

In comparison the small pololu wheels(about 30mm) weigh 3.2g each.

so they're quite a bit heavier than using the polulu wheels once you've attached a wheel to them, but they do give you more freedom when it comes to what size wheel you use :)
I used these as wheels on "El Chupacabra",and they now reside on Raoul. They are great. I have drilled holes in mine,(to increase aerodynamics. :wink: )

I also used a pair of these as cams on the elastic axe thing. :)
terminaldamage

Post by terminaldamage »

Andrew_Hibberd wrote:Looking for some advice on 2.4Ghz transmitters. I bought a DX6i a few years ago, but the price now is a lot more than I paid. Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonable priced transmitter?
If you don't mind doing a little soldering, I'd go on eBay and get hold of an old Skysport/Field Force 6 transmitter for roughly £10, buy a FrSky conversion kit and receiver for about £25 from GiantCod, wire it all together and get a 2.4GHz transmitter/receiver for £35-£40.

Some conversion kits have had their issues (my old Corona one, for instance) but myself and a few others have never had any problems with the FrSky conversion kit. The benefit as well is that all the transmitter functions (model memory, dual rates etc) are retained and can be used with the 2.4GHz kit in the same way as they were when the transmitter was operating on 35/40MHz.

A link for the conversion module and an 8ch receiver:
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/frsky-24ghz-c ... 05206.html
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/24ghz-frsky-r ... 05319.html
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/24ghz-frsky-r ... 04806.html (4ch, if you need something smaller for ants)

Just had a quick search on eBay and there are plenty of transmitters coming up cheap.
Jamie McHarg
RogueTwo Robots
www.rogue-two-robots.vze.com

With great power, comes great reliability.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Interesting piece of kit. My old tx was a futaba 6exa, a quick search has said this should work on that. Has anyone tried this with the rx31 receivers?
Thanks

EDIT:

Looks like these will only work with the rx's they manufacture, I don't really want to have to buy more rx's to fit into the robots...
TEAM GEEK!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I also used a pair of these as cams on the elastic axe thing.
Jim, I still want to see that in the arena sometime!

And that's just given me an idea, those hubs are perfect to make a very simple walking mechanism. Just like the one I had on Egg 2 Brutus but even easier!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

LOL. One day! :roll:
It is a weapon,with no means of moving,at the mo!
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I am going to put a diode in parallel with my solenoid valves on anticide, however typical packages for 1n4001 diodes are huge compared to the valve. Is there a smaller package available or does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks
TEAM GEEK!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

For axial-leaded diodes you could look at the 1N4148 (aka 1N914), be careful though, it's a signal diode so I'm not sure about how much forward current or reverse voltage it can handle.
The only smaller alternative would be surface-mount SOT-23 or similar, although they might be tricky to mount without adding more size/weight than a 1N4001 :(
Gary, Team BeligerAnt