Ant Freeze 7 - 1st Feb 2020 - Hinckley, Leicestershire

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

LimaHotel

Re: Ant Freeze 7 - 1st Feb 2020 - Hinckley, Leicestershire - Sign up now!

Post by LimaHotel »

HUGE Thanks for running this today!
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

^ what he said...

great day overall, perfect way to mark my 1 year anniversary
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Great job running the event, as usual.

Also nice to see the automated fight control system, it does save a lot of shouting "drivers ready? three two one etc...". Clearly there are a few minor tweaks which could be made but still very useful.

Mark
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

MarkR wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:18 pm Great job running the event, as usual.

Also nice to see the automated fight control system, it does save a lot of shouting "drivers ready? three two one etc...". Clearly there are a few minor tweaks which could be made but still very useful.

Mark
Sounds like everyone had a blast! I can't wait to see it, I'm hoping that team panoramic filmed it and will put it up tomorrow. Tomorrow is the superbowl (championship match of American football).
retropunk

Post by retropunk »

thanks so much for running a pretty incredible event, and the automated fight system was really cool and saved a lot of shouting!
team A12 / BANANAPHONE

Solderburn v2 (1-5)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Yes another great event thanks to John and family for putting it on and nice to see quite a few new faces. I also liked the new timing system.
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

minionhunter wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:21 pm
Sounds like everyone had a blast! I can't wait to see it, I'm hoping that team panoramic filmed it and will put it up tomorrow. Tomorrow is the superbowl (championship match of American football).
can confirm, it was filmed yesterday, but i dont think it will be up tomorrow... its usually a few days for Harry to edit and post... possibly up to a week sometimes depending on event size and travel times...

it was a great event... your in for a treat
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
limpet

Re: Ant Freeze 7 - 1st Feb 2020 - Hinckley, Leicestershire

Post by limpet »

Well now its all done!

Many thanks to everyone for coming, everyone made it such an enjoyable day.
Special thanks to Dave Weston for his big help with running antlog throughout the day, and of course all the others who helped out with that and other things that needed doing there are just too many names for me to remember! but thanks again you know who you are.

The filming was done by Harry of Team Panoramic and John ran two go-pro cameras throughout so plenty of footage to come soon.

The automated arena control worked really well, I was going to preview it a week before but as I was still tweaking the code at 10pm on Friday n`t really get chance! It was nice to keep it a secret until the day though. That was the first time I`d written anything in python (or even written a program since the 1990s!) so it was a an experiment over christmas learning as I went. I`ll be rewriting it and changing/adding things for version 2. It will be fairly easy to add lighting and arena hazard controls, door lock detection etc. the list is endless. I'm planning on having a go at tournament software too so it handles melees etc. as the limits of the current format are at their limit I think.

Thanks to Anthony and the IT guy :) even though we didn`t get the projector working it got pretty close and I`m sure another ten minutes would have sorted it, we just didn`t have the time.

I won`t announce the winners here in case anyone is waiting or the videos but congratulations of course!
We had 111 entries I think which blows away previous years, and we got it done with time at the end for a Gladiator match!

If you've got any photos or video you`d like to share please share them on the facebook page, there is an @antfreeze tag but I don`t know how that works maybe someone will inform me :)
–-----------------------------

For AntFreeze
https://www.facebook.com/AntFreeze/

For my robots etc.
https://www.facebook.com/13Robotics
Ants, Fleas, Beetles, Feathers & Heavies
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

limpet wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:46 am Well now its all done!

Many thanks to everyone for coming, everyone made it such an enjoyable day.
Special thanks to Dave Weston for his big help with running antlog throughout the day, and of course all the others who helped out with that and other things that needed doing there are just too many names for me to remember! but thanks again you know who you are.

The filming was done by Harry of Team Panoramic and John ran two go-pro cameras throughout so plenty of footage to come soon.

The automated arena control worked really well, I was going to preview it a week before but as I was still tweaking the code at 10pm on Friday n`t really get chance! It was nice to keep it a secret until the day though. That was the first time I`d written anything in python (or even written a program since the 1990s!) so it was a an experiment over christmas learning as I went. I`ll be rewriting it and changing/adding things for version 2. It will be fairly easy to add lighting and arena hazard controls, door lock detection etc. the list is endless. I'm planning on having a go at tournament software too so it handles melees etc. as the limits of the current format are at their limit I think.

Thanks to Anthony and the IT guy :) even though we didn`t get the projector working it got pretty close and I`m sure another ten minutes would have sorted it, we just didn`t have the time.

I won`t announce the winners here in case anyone is waiting or the videos but congratulations of course!
We had 111 entries I think which blows away previous years, and we got it done with time at the end for a Gladiator match!

If you've got any photos or video you`d like to share please share them on the facebook page, there is an @antfreeze tag but I don`t know how that works maybe someone will inform me :)
Can't wait to watch it!
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

Great event, thanks for running it!
Thomas - Approximation Robotics AKA "the one that does the mechanums"

Ants:
PLA-ST Is a Perfectly Legitimate Choice of Material
Percussive Maintenance 4: A New Spinner
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two