Botfest 2 (23rd March 2019)

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Ocracoke

Botfest 2 (23rd March 2019)

Post by Ocracoke »

Hey Everyone!

After a bit of a wait (apologies :P), I am pleased to announce BotFest will be making a return for 2019!

Following on from the pilot, we are sticking with the Church so this event will be running on the 23rd of March at the following location from 11:00 - 17:00.

St. Lukes Church
Poulton
Wallasey
CH44 3BD

The church is easily accessible via the M53, by train there is a walk of about 10-15 minutes and there are also local bus routes as well. Refreshments are available from the attached cafe to the church or from the local vicinity (easily within a 10 minute walk).

Like last time, we'll be running a set of 4 heats, quarter finals, semi finals and a grand final. We'll also be having a all robot rumble at the end and if folks want to organise a whiteboard whilst there, there will be one available plus a couple of games if we get time.

This is an Antweight event but if you wish to do a static display your heavier class robots, please feel free to bring them with cradles. As before, we are running a slightly modified variant of the AWS ruleset (http://robotwars101.org/ants/rules.htm), those being:

2.a: Weight limits have a 2% variance, so the maximum permitted weight for a Antweight roller is 153g and for a Antweight walker is 229.5g. Robots that exceed the AWS weight limit but are within the variance will have a note applied to the technical check sheet but pass in this instance.

2.b: Size limits have a 5% variance, so the maximum size for a particular dimension for a Antweight is 106.68mm. Robots that exceed the AWS size limit but are within variance will have a note applied to the technical check sheet but pass in this instance.

5.g A team is permitted to enter up to 3 robots of either a roller or walker.

Signup is available on Antlog: http://antlog.garya.org.uk/event/17

Hope to see you there!
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen
voorsk

Re: Botfest 2 (23rd March 2019)

Post by voorsk »

yay! the first one was grate, so count me in. :D

I've entered Fermented Melon and Sprouting Potato, but I'll prolly switch out S.Potato for my planned cluster; Lemon & Slime. It depends on me getting my 3D printer unjammed (I bloomin hope I can!)
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

Oooh, that'll be excellent to see! Hope you do get your printer fixed. ;)
Team Kaizen

T_Y

Post by T_Y »

Signed up with three bots! I've got plenty of time to get them ready. Looking forward to it!
Thomas - Approximation Robotics AKA "the one that does the mechanums"

Ants:
PLA-ST Is a Perfectly Legitimate Choice of Material
Percussive Maintenance 4: A New Spinner
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Train tickets booked! Please don’t cancel 😏.
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

Train tickets booked! Please don’t cancel 😏.
Nearly had a moment over the weekend where it sounded as if the booking I had made would be cancelled but no, still on course (phew!). A small update though, turns out the cafe downstairs will be closed on the day of the event. We'll have a kettle with some basic tea and coffee on standby.
Team Kaizen

Kyro

Post by Kyro »

anyone going to this from around my way (north London ish) with space for an extra person and a couple of bots?

the mrs cant take me and i dont fancy a 8+ hour ride on my motorbike there and back...

i can chip in for fuel and i don't mind a shorter journey on my bike to meet you so you wouldnt have to go out of your way to get me...

im happy to travel an hour or so from where i am to meet anyone willing.

sorry for leaving it so late to ask but my mrs only just found out she needs to take her mother to the airport and apparently, nobody else is capable :p

thanks in advance

Luke
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

Hoping to see you there Kyro!

A few things for this event:

- Parking: There is some parking available on the roads around the church. There is a small car park as well but be aware, it is quite rough. As you come up from the docks, at the crossroads (where the church is in the NW position), turn left, follow the wall around and then you'll see a entry point (just after a shipping container I seem to recall). Be aware, it is quite a sharp turn in.

- Soldering: For those who weren't there last time, we had issues with the alarms going off in the church and I think part of that was because we had soldering happen right underneath a fire alarm. If you are going to solder, I might recommend doing it in the central area of the church where the vaulted ceiling is less likely to set it off but if it does go off again, we may have to say soldering can only be done outside (which I know, is a royal pain).

- Length of fights: We have double the competitors from the pilot, so to get through the heat fights with time to spare for whiteboards/side events, they will be a maximum of 2 minutes. All other fights and side events (unless stipulated), is 3 minutes. By my reckoning, if everyone passes tech check, with the league system used here, you'll likely end up fighting 6 or 7 times. Like last time, the all robot rumble at the end is a time unlimited fight.

I will do the usual announcement at 11:30 with an aim to get through checks to start at 12:00.
Team Kaizen

Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Thank you for a really well organised and fun event. Looking forward to next one already. 👍
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

A massive thanks from me to everyone who attended today, we ended up with nearly double the number of competitors from the pilot! Despite the issues we were having with the arena floor (clearly, the masking tape over the join between the floor boards was the overall winner of the event :P), we had spectacular fights and a range of fun and interesting designs. Special mention to the Stolen Concept vs Voodette fight for being so memorable!

I mentioned this briefly but we are looking to run BotFest 3 on the 14th of September this year - there is a community centre about 10 minutes up the road which have expressed an interest in having BotFest there so I'll be taking with them next week to see what they would be happy with (it may end up being a BW non-spinner and AW event, we'll have to see). I'll be looking into building a new arena as well to address the issues that cropped up with this one - I'l be moving offices soon so probably end up using the existing arena as a testing arena.
Team Kaizen