AWS44 - Brize Norton, Oxfordshire

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

razerdave

Re: AWS44 - Brize Norton, Oxfordshire

Post by razerdave »

Hey Guys

Well, I'm glad that's over!

Thanks to everyone who came, there wouldn't be an event without you, and a special thank you to Dave L, Gemma L, Will Thomas and Haz for sorting out the draws, judging, rallying people and generally keeping me sane :)

Thank you also to all the people that helped with the arenas (Andy, Scott, the Ottleys, Botwrights, Ceri, Dan Laybourn and Niels), the filming (Harry DT, John Denny and a bit from Jarvis), plus anyone else that helped put the hall together after the late start (I had to make an unscheduled 3rd trip to the workshop for more bits, plus a miscommunication between myself and the hall owner about the keys).

Congratulations to our 3 winners as well as the merit and side event winners, glad we had (just about) enough time to fit it all in. Less said about my own attempts to fight the better :P.

Hope you all enjoyed it, because I won't be doing it again for a while :P. See you all at the next one!
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Big thanks to Dave for putting it all on. I know it's never easy to put on such a big event, but I think we can all agree it was an excellent day. Well, except for those that went crashing out in the early stages.

The beetles were a welcome addition and added an extra bit of excitement. I know my highlight of the day was taking chunks out of RPM! And Dave, I know you said you'd keep ants and beetles separate in future, but I don't think running them at the same event was an issue. However, trying to prepare them all for the same event was a bit hectic! So if they are separated in future it would help, but isn't essential.

From my own point of view, I did better than I expected, considering how little I've done in the last 4 months, but still not as good as I'd like. Maybe it's finally time for some new robots. But I was shocked to get best driver, considering there were many more deserving than me. As usual John Denny and Scott were relentless, but my personal favourite was Andrew W's performance with Chomp and his flipper (Vertigo?). If the decision went on applause alone, the award was his.

I also think we should start giving out an award for "Awkward argument for the day". I had a good laugh when Andy tried to knock ALOLF off the wall, but I hope we don't see an thread in the rules section about this. It's good to see some heated debate, but it shouldn't ruin the spirit of the event (mind you, I know me and Dave had a few choice words after the Randar vs Stewie encounter).

Anyway, can't wait for the next one. I'm sure anyone who went to AWS 39 will be hoping that Scott will be able to get the same venue again.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Duff wrote:
I also think we should start giving out an award for "Awkward argument for the day". I had a good laugh when Andy tried to knock ALOLF off the wall, but I hope we don't see an thread in the rules section about this. It's good to see some heated debate, but it shouldn't ruin the spirit of the event (mind you, I know me and Dave had a few choice words after the Randar vs Stewie encounter).
No hard feelings eh Rhys? :)

As for ALBOLF, it's outside interference which altered the outcome of the match. I know the rules may not state it but I think it's unfair, as other robots got stuck like that and counted out. Robots only get unstuck if they are stuck on each other or stuck at the same time (stalemate).
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

They do actually state it:
4f) Outside manipulation is not permitted during the contest (they may be manipulated by a judge during a pause in the battle, as described in the previous rule).
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Ah, thanks Alex :). Then my call was valid.
MicroGravity100

Post by MicroGravity100 »

A fantastic day, and finally a proper beetle competition! Massive thanks to David and Haz for making it happen despite complications, and well done to Alex & Anvil for the win, it was well deserved and I'll have to come up with something to do with my spare 100g to have you next time ;). And I think a rematch between RPM & Headbanger is necessary after the unfotunate self righting problem that led to the win. Very happy with second, considering I thought it was over after it ate it's own link. Didn't get to see all the antweight fighting but well done to other Alex & Stanley for the win. After seeing the ants again I've decided to get the 6WD one I've designed & named Bioshock ready for AWS 45, and a return to Coventry would be great too, was one of the last AWSs I went to before breaking all my ants. Here's hoping a few antweight builders caught the beetleweight bug and vica versa, always good to see more beetles about.
Team Rapture
Flow (FW)
Ricochet (FW)
RPM (BW)
haz

Post by haz »

Bioshock from team Rapture?

Wonder what games you play lol.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

razerdave wrote:Ah, thanks Alex :). Then my call was valid.
I feel it's worth noting that I'm pretty sure Andy knew that he was going to get counted out, and so knocked the wall to try to be funny, not to actually legitimately try to win the match :P. He knew he'd lost already.

It would be nice to have a way to stop that from happening, but as the side walls are removable, you can't do much short of sealing the entire edge of the arena every tournament, which is obviously unrealistic.

Regarding the beetles, they were interesting to see, but I'd rather they didn't become a permanent staple of the AWS. I do feel like they detracted from the AWS at certain points, especially later in the competition, when some people preferred to be off fighting their beetles than watching the action unfold in the main arena. Also, as someone who isn't really interested in building a flea at the moment either, I had nothing at all to do in the morning without a warm-up competition running side-by-side with the fleas as we have been doing recently.

I definitely won't be running them in Coventry, but that's mostly due to space constraints, regardless of my personal opinion. That said, I wish the guys who do want to do beetles the best of luck and hope that the class takes off as you'd like.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I agree with Scott.

Also, regarding the news you all want to hear, sadly, Pudding did not survive the AWS. Sausage did however and there will definitely be another one next time to take on that sissy Inertia!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

The beetle fights got a bit rushed at the end because the schedule got slightly squiffy, sorry about that.

I appreciate they may have been a slight distraction but not as bad as they could have been, but I will most likely run beetles and AWS seperate if I do any more event disorganising :).
As for Andy knowing he was goin to lose, why did he argue the point then? I told him outside manipulation was unfair and thusly deemed him to lose, and he said 'it's not in the rules' and got annoyed about it.

It makes no odds now, the match is over, the decision was legit, his argument is invalid. Sweep to one side and we wait on the next one :).

Who is doing the next one anyway? I heard either Scott or John Denny (because he wanted to do this one).