AWS 40

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Re: AWS 40

Post by Shakey »

Hey all, It was fantastic to watch on the live stream just sorry I wasn't there myself.

The main delay cause I saw was people not knowing when they were fighting which could easily be solved by utilising the projector I saw to display upcoming fights if the antlog was rejigged a tad.

Also I wouldn't like the idea of competitors who reach the final group not being able to do the extra contests as they are so much fun. Plus who here hasn't sat there hoping they get the New AWS champion as their robot roulette or their tag team partner. ;)

Also forcing teams to pick one robot if more than one made it out the groups is something I can't see as fair. I have been in the situation before of having two robots reach the late stages of the final group having to swap them in back to back fights and it is hectic but I would gladly do it again to give both my robots the best chance. Lets face it it would be hard to pick just one robots out of your team for many of you. I know I couldn't decide between stanley or accelerant.

Just my $0.02.

I must say some seriously impressive robots and driving at this event.

Thanks to will for organising this with the livestream. :D
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Thanks to Will and everyone for organising another great event, and congratulations to the winners. Sadly I did awfully (I'm never touching baby-o's again...), but I still had a good day.

I don't really think there's any need for this talk of changing things fundamentally. Will knows what caused the time problems this time around (pits and arena being seperate, fights not being called enough in advance, and people not knowing where they are in the bracket), and I'm sure he has resolutions in mind for those issues if he runs another AWS in the future.

Organising an event of this size is a lot of hard work, not only on the day, but for the weeks and months leading up to it, and anyone who's willing to take on that mantle of responsibility should be commended, even if things don't go quite as planned.

Now, who's doing AWS41? ^^
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
StuartL

Post by StuartL »

EpicentrE wrote:(...) I don't really think there's any need for this talk of changing things fundamentally. Will knows what caused the time problems this time around (pits and arena being seperate, fights not being called enough in advance, and people not knowing where they are in the bracket), and I'm sure he has resolutions in mind for those issues if he runs another AWS in the future.

Organising an event of this size is a lot of hard work, not only on the day, but for the weeks and months leading up to it, and anyone who's willing to take on that mantle of responsibility should be commended, even if things don't go quite as planned.
I apologise if my comments came across as criticism. I've organised many events before (no robot combat ones) and wholly appreciate the effort that went into making Saturday the success it was. As a pure spectator it was a delight and thanks to Will for making it happen.

I do think that nerfing discussion is a mistake. We all learn from everything we observe and if there are tweaks to be done or fundamental changes which can better the competition then let's talk about it.

Speaking of which, I've been thinking about the double elimination rules and flow chart and I'll start a new thread on that...
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I'd also like to thank Will and all the other people at the university for organising this event, it was a lot of fun! I know it ran a bit late, but it all got done in the end. My only real gripe, which others have mentioned, is that the draw wasn't openly available for all to see. It got a bit confusing as I had no idea who I was facing next, or how far into the competition we were. Maybe at future events we could implement the software used by Scott at AWS 39?

Apart from that though, very slick, and very entertaining when I was watching fights I wasn't involved in. The stream seemed really good and I can't wait to see it all on YouTube.

Also congratulations and a big thanks to both Andys, firstly for doing so well in the AWS and secondly for both being such good cluster partners with Warhorses and VSC. I don't think I've ever had so much fun at an AWS as I did in the Defiant vs VSC match. :D
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

You and Will have raised the bar a bit too high! Most people wouldn't even try and take up the mantle and then end up in a scout hut like we used to be :).

Btw, I have a Dx5 that was left behind near my bench. It's a new style one with some black tape stuck round the sides. Anyone owning up to it?
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

My post wasn't aimed at anyone inparticular. I don't wish to stifle discussion or criticism; both are good things which help us improve. Just wanted to make sure people were giving Will the respect he deserved, no matter what criticisms they had :).

Talking of criticisms, one thing I meant to mention but forgot; It seemed odd to me that the judges we had wern't people who were familiar with antweights. It appeared they didn't know about the pinning/entanglement rule, for example.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments- it's given me plenty to think about.

Now I've had a couple of days to sit down and recover I've been thinking about the comments from everyone and been chatting to those involved and we have some solutions to the issues raised from Saturday.

1. We will not be using 2 rooms for the pits/ arena. In the future the pits will join us in the main room and open all the doors so that the tables can extend into the lobby but still within earshot of the arena.

2. next time between fights we will put Antlog onto the projector/ stream so that everyone can see who will be fighting soon.

3. I am going to raise the roof of the arena to make it easier to see into.

4. The walls around the drop off will be made lower and smaller as this has recieved a few negative comments.

5. We will start the fleas earlier (possibly changing to single elimination)

6. The judges will be briefed fully (a copy of the rules was made available to them but they didn't fully get it)

If there is anything else that people would like to see changed please let me know. I plan to put forward to host AWS 43 (this time next year) and if no one else offers for AWS 41 I will chat to the uni about running it again but I cannot make any promises as of yet since this event cost the uni in excess of £500 to organise.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
haz

Post by haz »

razerdave wrote:You and Will have raised the bar a bit too high! Most people wouldn't even try and take up the mantle and then end up in a scout hut like we used to be :).

Btw, I have a Dx5 that was left behind near my bench. It's a new style one with some black tape stuck round the sides. Anyone owning up to it?
that might be mine :oops:
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I'll either post it to you or I'll bring it over on the way to burgess hill.
haz

Post by haz »

I'd kind of be needing it for the FW champs. I apologize for leaving it. If you could maybe post it, i can reimburse you at champs