AWS 37- Reading- 17th March 2012

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: AWS 37- Reading- 17th March 2012

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Jim, Drillzilla wasn't really a bristlebot. It just had very small cams to allow for a faster degree of motion. With a bristlebot, none of the "feet" are powered, they just act as a surface for the vibration to travel through.

They're interesting things! I think the remote controlled one of those videos I put up is a fascinating idea. Would be cool to see an ant like that (though I don't think it'd be able to push much!)
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

So. Is a bristlebot a walker or a shufflebot then?
Remote-Controlled Dave

It's a bit unclassifiable! It's neither really, but I know they currently get the same weight advantage as a shufflebot, whatever that may be. I know some competitions offer weight advantages to walkers but not shufflebots. We offer an advantage to walkers and shufflers, so I don't know! Personally, I'd offer a bristlebot the weight advantage as a shufflebot, but I could understand if someone else said they weren't a shufflebot and shouldn't be heavier!
They are certainly not rollers though. Haha.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Just like to clarify that kwijebo doesn't use a drillzilla mechanism, it uses its own custom cam arrangement that has not been used by any other robot giving a hemispherical motion of the legs giving no bounce. Also if you remove the wedge the robot is supported only by the legs and not the body.

I would allow a bristle bot the weight advantage as well, as it won't gain any advantage for grip.
TEAM GEEK!
Remote-Controlled Dave

It's all in the details, Andy! Haha.

Anyway, back on topic. One week to go people! Hope you're all close to ready. Still waiting to see Pete C, Josh and Jim on the sign up sheets, and anyone else who fancies a rumble. One of us needs to stop Andrew surely? Lol.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Pugster2002

Post by Pugster2002 »

Dave26 wrote:It's all in the details, Andy! Haha.

Anyway, back on topic. One week to go people! Hope you're all close to ready. Still waiting to see Pete C, Josh and Jim on the sign up sheets, and anyone else who fancies a rumble. One of us needs to stop Andrew surely? Lol.
I am still having to re biuld rage I still need the dremal disks and glue sticks
Pugster is 9 years old and is autistic,he can be blunt and sometimes seems rude,but he's just to the point!!!please try to be clear when talking to him.his obsession is robot wars and pugs!!thanks guys(pugsters mum!!)
Pugster2002

Post by Pugster2002 »

How long is this event :D
What time does it start and finish?
Pugster is 9 years old and is autistic,he can be blunt and sometimes seems rude,but he's just to the point!!!please try to be clear when talking to him.his obsession is robot wars and pugs!!thanks guys(pugsters mum!!)
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The new version of the AWS rules was published a couple of weeks ago - sorry I forgot to announce it as it was in the middle of Modelworld! Anyway, here's the announcement, better late than never...

http://www.robotwars101.org/forum/viewt ... f=1&t=1905

The most important point to come out of both the public and committee discussions was the need for defined judges for each fight, with the authority to make decisions based on the rules and their best judgement. This makes a lot of the perceived rules problems go away without adding any additional rules!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Pugster2002

Post by Pugster2002 »

It don't say how long it is :D
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

10 am start.I would advise to get there by 9.30 at the latest,to set up etc. Finish usually by 5.
AFAIK.
Someone please advise if it is any different,thanks. :)