AWS36 Bristol 12th November 2011

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Craig_Anto3

Re: AWS36 Bristol

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

ok lovers news......

AWS36 will be split across 2 arenas as will the draw with the last 2 robots (from the winners bracket and the 1st defeat bracket) going into the grand final, you will either be in arena 1 with Dave L or Arena A with me (by with me or Dave I mean because we're adjudicating the arenas), this should help eliminate multiple robots from one person making the top 4,

prior to that I'm going to run the events we normally run after the AWS such as the Tag team, Annihilator and qualifying rounds (yes you have to qualify for it this time) a champions event and anyone not in the final Annihilator will go into the non spinner event.
All of the events will receive a Trophy (bar the champions event as they already had one!)

Also going to film the event in 3D yes 3D!

more to come
the16henry16

Post by the16henry16 »

any one wanna be a flea cluster with a rc car and spikes on ti :P and pennys 8) :D
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

A few points come to mind:

There are dangers in running Tag Team and Annihilator before the AWS. If they are full combat events, people may prefer to keep their robots for the AWS rather than risk them getting trashed early on. Even if they are non-spinner, by leaving the AWS to the end you run the risk of running out of time before finishing the AWS.

For adjudicating each arena, bear in mind the AWS rules which state that there will be 3 neutral judges for each fight. In practice this means that each arena requires five judges...

Constraining all 4 of one person's robots to half the competition is OK as long as there are enough entries in total. Otherwise you will end up with very small groups (which don't work very well) or multiple robots from one team in a group, meaning they inevitably meet each other early on in the competition.

Filming in 3D is OK, as long as it's also available in 2D for us lesser mortals...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

surely its up to the individual if they want to compete in the competition be it full combat or not, with regards to judges, thats not going to be an issue with the turn out we had at 35, working on the last event thats why I'm running 2 arenas, at this stage we already have 20 plus entries numbers wont be a problem
its an option for youtube videos, available in 360p 720p 1080p and 3D if you can watch anything on youtube you can watch the 3D option
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

are you filming in blue n red 3d then?
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I think by "adjudicating", Craig just means running. Doing the call-outs, running the fight order, getting people ready etc. The judging (if needed) should be run properly at this event, with allocated "watchers" before each fight, just in case it goes 3 mins (as happened on one occasion at the last event).

If the peripheral events are being held before the AWS, I won't be taking part, as I see this could result in event suicide :lol: I'd prefer them to be afterwards, for the reasons Gary said. I'm not sure you'd get many enterants for them before the competition, as people will hold back for the AWS.

Craig, are you running an FWS? Also, I'd edit the first post of this thread to display the new venue, rather than the old one, and also the sign up links, to make them easy to find, and in case people get confused.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

the events prior to the AWS are non spinner, yes I will run a FWS in the morning, will update page one later uber busy right now
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Thanks babe
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
TeamMental

Post by TeamMental »

I'm hoping to get "The Mongrel" finished by then.