Antweight Team Championship: 27th August 2011

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MicroGravity100

Re: Antweight Team Championship: 27th August 2011

Post by MicroGravity100 »

Ahh, didn't see that bit... :oops:
Team Rapture
Flow (FW)
Ricochet (FW)
RPM (BW)
the16henry16

Post by the16henry16 »

lol jarvis i was saying if u get picked fo rme u will win (lose) but who cares :D
MicroGravity100

Post by MicroGravity100 »

Well, this topic has been inactive for so long, I'd better continue it. When and where is this happening (if it is at all).
Team Rapture
Flow (FW)
Ricochet (FW)
RPM (BW)
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

It is going ahead, I plan to do it in December 17 or 18th. Would have done it in conjuction with Snibston but it may not be running. The last 2 weekends of December are not practical (Christmas Eve and New years eve :P). I'll get a date and place set ASAP.
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Would it be cheeky to hold it at Snibston without Robots Live?
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Its worth an ask, I'll let you know.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I'm about to start on my assault course, I am wondering if 5" is enough for robots on the first ally (with the ram rig). The allys will be 8" wide, but the gap between one block and the other is 5". Should I increase that ?

Also, in the 3rd ally, there is a pit that I was intending ti make 4" wide, so half the width of the ally. Too much ?
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I think it depends how long the 5" wide section is. It's quite easy to get through a 5" gap, but much harder to get down a 5" wide corridor that is, say, a foot long.

A 4" wide pit in an 8" wide alley is perhaps a bit harsh :o It allows no room for manoeuvre assuming the pit is on one side. How about a narrow pit in the middle that robots could either try to straddle or get around? However, the track of an antweight could realistically be between about 2.5" and 4.5" although the vast majority are probably between 3" and 4".

Nothing to beat a cardboard prototype and a quick drive round with your own ants! Worth making one up to 4" wide so you don't underestimate the difficulty!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Having driven Bulletproof (Who is exactly 4" wide) down the mock-up, its apparent its a tad too narrow. I've got more board to work with so I'm going to make each ally 10" wide, and increase the size of the path in ally 1, and I'll probably make the pit 3-4" and have 6 the other side, should be plenty of room. Besides, they'll have enough trouble once they're beyond it...there will be a house robot at the end of each ally. unlike RW, you only have to deal with the robot down your ally.

Also, I've been thinking, because the games may not take as long as the AWS's, I was considering having 3 runs per team in the gauntlet and the best combined time wins the challenge, same for pinball (combined scores) and raceway (combined time, the opposition robot that doesn't complete 3 laps gets to carry on until its got itelf a time, unless its immobile)

With the games, I wanted to get lots of people to try them rather than 1 bot per team. In the pinball for example, you would have team A's robot 1 run, with team B's robots acting as House robots (3 of them, can't come out of their area until a robot goes in it, only 1 robot can attack outside their area). then you'd have team B's robot 1 do its run, with Teams A's 3 robots. The robots doing the game will be the same 3 doing the House robot duties.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

The issue I think with combined times is how you take into account immobilised robots - do you give them a fixed time higher than any completing robot, or do you do some sort of formula involving the number of robots that completed the course?

Apart from that though I can't fault those proposals at the moment, they seem reasonable enough ^^
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"