AWS 33 - Brighton 30 October 2010

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

i have a feeling my stuff's gonna be all hasty and last minute again...

Gary: we will be in contact via phone im sure to keep you updated, but it's looking like we're gonna be turning up towards 11, we're booked on the 9 o'clock ferry from freashwater (IOW) to portsmouth, and then from there to the AWS! gonna be tight and i understand it's a inconvieniance but if you can could you possibly move our warm up fight back abit? if it's obvious we're gonna be way late (traffic is a nightmare-especialy now) then just put our opponent through on a bye or knock us out...either way is fine really, the AWS is the most important thing (exept for having fun!) and we should defo be there for that :lol: lol

ta
Jack
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Thanks for the heads-up Jack. I'm sure we can work around it. Hope Arundel and Worthing are kind to you!

Re: charging over-discharged lipos
If charging a "dead" lipo from below 2.5V per cell, you must be VERY careful.
This must be done at a very low current, as the battery is in no fit state to accept a standard charge current.

If you do try to use a standard charge current you will likely cause the lithium metal to "plate out" from its normally safe lithium salt. This is where lithium fires start!

You *do* have a lipo sack to carry this operation out in, right?
And you *do* have a really good charger that understands lipo deep discharge and can safely recharge batteries in this state, right?

Intelligent chargers refuse to charge over-discharged batteries for a reason - it's potentially dangerous!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Paddonjon

Post by Paddonjon »

I dont have a lipo bag, i ordered one like 2 months ago and hasnt turned up .... lol

I will bring the battery with me and see if anyone can recharge it at the event... it was lucky i had one spare battery ! lol

also does a name have to be visable at all times ? i have put the name on the wings that will fold down in battle :D

also my robot weighs 151 grams.... i am trying to bring it down to 150 but will it still be accepted in abttles being 1 gram over :S ?
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

BeligerAnt wrote:Thanks for the heads-up Jack. I'm sure we can work around it. Hope Arundel and Worthing are kind to you!

Re: charging over-discharged lipos
If charging a "dead" lipo from below 2.5V per cell, you must be VERY careful.
This must be done at a very low current, as the battery is in no fit state to accept a standard charge current.

If you do try to use a standard charge current you will likely cause the lithium metal to "plate out" from its normally safe lithium salt. This is where lithium fires start!

You *do* have a lipo sack to carry this operation out in, right?
And you *do* have a really good charger that understands lipo deep discharge and can safely recharge batteries in this state, right?

Intelligent chargers refuse to charge over-discharged batteries for a reason - it's potentially dangerous!
...right...thanks for the warning :o

Looking over the entry list I can't help but notice that we have a pair of Pants signed up incidentally ;) what's going on there?
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Well my ant is ready... but I guess it needs a rethink after the event. It is somewhat disadvantaged in that it can't self right. :-?
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
James

Post by James »

Paddonjon;

as long as your robot weighs under 152g it will be ok :)

the rules say
2r) Robots must be clearly labeled with their names
so as long as it is visible when the wings are down it will be fine :)

Joey;

someone Pete knows that is interested in robots is bringing pants as Pete is away, i think he signed them up then they signed up themselves without realising pete had already signed them up
Paddonjon

Post by Paddonjon »

Its visable when the wings are up or when robots upside down with wings down lol
James

Post by James »

same difference, i'm sure it will be ok as long as it's got it's name on it somewhere :)
Paddonjon

Post by Paddonjon »

Ok cool, i am all ready now for the weekend...

My mates just text me saying he wont come now though ... oh well

Is there anywhere i can park though ? as i am driving up :D
James

Post by James »

theres a small car park at the venue and plenty of free on street parking nearby if needed :)