AWS 30 - a milestone!

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

JimBeeden

Post by JimBeeden »

ah right ok fair enough,
Flipsting Progress: Completed version 2, first was a cardboard version, pictures will be on website when its set up
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

BeligerAnt wrote:Please note: I did not suggest that the AWS was anything to do with the RR event, merely that if RR were only a 1-day event on Sunday, we could run the AWS on the Saturday.
I have always been one of the strongest opponents of running an AWS at another event, for all the reasons stated above.

Jim, the AWS committee need to be confident that the event will be properly organised, which is why we insist on it being run by someone that is over 18 (so they can legally hire a venue) and also someone that is well known to us and familiar with how an AWS runs - someone that has taken part in a few AWS.

So let's try again, any suggestions for AWS30?
My apologies Gary, I misread your original post. If that is the case, then I agree, it would be a good idea.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Although I can agree that having the AWS before another event sounds great, but it might not be ideal to some.

I looked up on the Roaming Robots website to see which dates they use in November, and it seems that the 15th November there is an event in Maidstone and 28-29th the same month in Wigan.
My suggestion is that the AWS should be either in 7th or 21th November. I would prefer the 7th.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Simon M

Post by Simon M »

muchalucha wrote:If in the end , its hosted as a seperate vent and held in brightion IM THERE :D .

im going to the portsmouth Rrobots anyway , so itll be nice to see wom,e aws people there even if theres no ants there.
Having been to a couple of RR events, the antweights competion would just get overlooked, but as Razerdave got me into this at RR, there should be an Antweight presence as I'm sure more people would join in if only they knew they could build AW's and fight them.

In terms of a venue of the AWS, anywhere that I can get to by car in a few hours is fine for me.
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

well, id love to host but as Gary said that the organizer had to be over 18 that kinda puts me out of the running :cry: which is a shame cos i have a good location ( Richmond was okay for everyone right? ).

i agree that the aws should be separate from other events, especially since this is such a big landmark ( 30 ) but i can also see why some want a ant weight presence at the big shows, i do too, but they would get a bit overshadowed ( lets face it, 100kg getting flipped 5 feet in the air is more than most ants can provide *looks at anticide daringly* )

as for location, well anywhere that i can get too is fine for me although south-ish is better for me.

jack
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Just to say that we will be at the Portsmouth show, hopefully in a front location to the audience, and with some fights televised on the big screens.

So, I hadn't heard of the over 18 rule before, but if that's what we're working to now then are there any takers?

Simon
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I seem to remember the 18 years old rule came in after we let a young lad organise AWS8 at his school fete and when we arrived no one seem to be expecting us. They did find us a classroom and it all went off OK but it nearly didn't.
I am always prepared to organise an AWS if no one else wants to but I must admit I always enjoy a visit to Brighton. I can almost smell the sea air and the sausage sandwiches from here.
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

didnt josh valman host an aws, hes under 18 isnt he?

anyway, Brighton looks the most popular at the mo :)
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Jack: I think they actually mean just that you preferably have to be a veteran to host a AWS just so you know how things work, possible errors, in case you forget something (like the venue Pete wrote about). There is no rule (official anyway) that says you need to be 18 to host.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

PeterW is one of the few that have been around long enough to remember the reasons for insisting on adult organisers. IIRC one of the reasons for having the committee was to decide where to hold an AWS in the days when everyone was clamouring to hold it!

Jack, it's true that Josh hosted an AWS, as did Mark & Ben a long while ago. The point was that these were "family-run" events where we knew the parents as they had been involved at AWSs for a while. IMHO Team Orr also fall into this category :) However, do you (and your parents!) want to host RFRC2 in September AND the AWS in November? It would be a shame to lose RFRC, but I do think Richmond would be a good location.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt