featherweight shells

Something to tickle your fancy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

haz

Re: featherweight shells

Post by haz »

you can buy hdpe in all coulors so paint isnt really necicesrry.
i use plasticote though
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

Thanks, I'll use that then because I'm just going to buy one big sheet of hdpe and paint it after I have finished the robot completely rather than have to piece together a union jack out of different pieces of hdpe
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Looks like you and I are going to share a sense of style. :)
http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac35 ... new001.jpg
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

It seems so :D
maddox

Post by maddox »

tweedermeister wrote:And what type of spray paint would work on hdpe ?

Actualy , HDPE is famous for the paint repelling qualities it has. You can apply paint to it, but you'll be able to peel it off without much effort.

I solved that in Project II by using paper sandwiched between the HDPE armor and a thin sheet of polycarbonate.
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

maddox wrote:
tweedermeister wrote:And what type of spray paint would work on hdpe ?

Actualy , HDPE is famous for the paint repelling qualities it has. You can apply paint to it, but you'll be able to peel it off without much effort.

I solved that in Project II by using paper sandwiched between the HDPE armor and a thin sheet of polycarbonate.
Thanks I'll buy a big sheet of 1mm polycarb and cut it to size and woodscrew it on with the hdpe
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Alternative: Sand heavily and rough up the surface as much as possible, use car bumper spraypaint (not sure why thiss works but anyway) and then use varnish and leave it for a long time. Overall not everyone's cup of tea but it lasts if done right.
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

i just ruffed up alot and used regular spraypaint/ car bodywork spraypaint. sprayed a couple pieces, some using plastic primer some without

the primer helped considerably in helping the spraypaint stay on. it stuck on pretty well without the primer but the paint has chipped off in places
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

I dont need to paint any hdpe now because I'm buying the old bulldozer shell from Henry so I'll just strip the paint from it and use a spraypaint for use on metal, (I'm going to extend the wedge with hdpe to make up for the ground clearance and probably add panic attack style skirts made of hdpe or aluminium )
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Bit late to this topic, but I must add, I was told I couldn't paint HDPE very well before, but my heavyweights have all been spraypainted HDPE and the painting has been fine. It never flaked off any easier than it did on polycarb or aluminium. Just sayin'
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39