featherweight shells

Something to tickle your fancy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

tweedermeister

featherweight shells

Post by tweedermeister »

if anyone has any featherweight shells for sale pm me and I will be able to buy them after christmas because in my schools dt workshp I dont really have the facilities to make a decent shell and I dont know anyone that has the facilities that I can use.
Last edited by tweedermeister on Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haz

Re: any shells for sale

Post by haz »

your school doesnt have a drill, saw or a screwdriver?

change schools :P
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

haz wrote:your school doesnt have a drill, saw or a screwdriver?

change schools :P
it does but we dont have any thick bolts, decent drills, and its mainly used for woodwork so theresnot much in the way of facilities for metalwork or thick plastics work
and where did you get the shell for E=MC hammer ?
haz

Post by haz »

got it off rob, i think.

if you go down to b&q you can buy drilbits and bolts, all you need for about a tenner. if you have a small local shop, its gonna be cheaper.
i dont really use bolts on my feathers, and then only m4 so pretty small. they are mostly held together with woodscrews.
wrong place to be asking if im honest
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

haz wrote:got it off rob, i think.

if you go down to b&q you can buy drilbits and bolts, all you need for about a tenner. if you have a small local shop, its gonna be cheaper.
i dont really use bolts on my feathers, and then only m4 so pretty small. they are mostly held together with woodscrews.
wrong place to be asking if im honest
ok, I think Ill just go for a box type shape with a wedge at one end so it can easily be bolted or screwed together and use some screws and bolts from b&q whenever I next go there. and how much does 12mm hdpe cost per sheet and where is the cheapest place to get some ?
haz

Post by haz »

either ebay or direct plastics, ebay is cheaper but you cant get exactly what you want
http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/HDPE_Sheet.html
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

thanks I'll order some of that before christmas just to make a rough design of the shell, will 1000 x 500 x 12mm be enough ?
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I made my feather with a BnQ own brand (less than a tenner) a BnQ drill bit set (less than £20), a hacksaw, some nuts and bolts from a local hardware shop (which cost less than a fiver in total) and just over half of a 500 x 1000 x 12mm sheet of HDPE from direct plastic. Stick to using a bulkhead based design and you can't go wrong, assuming your careful. I'd also plan the chassis to the most detail you can, maybe use a CAD, before ordering (trust me it saves on a lot of plastic) and use direct plastic's cutting service.
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
haz

Post by haz »

direct plastics cutting service? nah just use a jigsaw :P
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

i probably won't use the cutting service because I find it easy to use a jigsaw and i'll use the rest of the plastic for various other projects, and next week I should have some pictures of a robot i've been building to pick up cotton reels for a school project, its largely based on the design of big nipper