Technical feather stuff

Something to tickle your fancy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MicroGravity100

Technical feather stuff

Post by MicroGravity100 »

Hi, I recently joined the popular sport that is Robotic Combat, and I have decided to make a featherweight for next years FW UK champs. I have a rough idea of how it will look, but I'm a little stuck on a few technical details.
1) For 12v motors bought of the RoboChallenge site (http://www.robochallenge.co.uk/Events_a ... nical.html), what kind of speed controller would I need?
2) How would I make a pneumatic flipper?
3) What is a good pressure level for a featherweight flipper? Maybe 10 bar?
Team Rapture
Flow (FW)
Ricochet (FW)
RPM (BW)
kickboxer

Re: Technical feather stuff

Post by kickboxer »

Q1
electronize are the best option i would think.
Q2
5 entry down
http://robotwars101.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1665
haz

Post by haz »

hi jarvis,

hey nice to see you getting in to feathers, the 12v motors on the robochalange website are jusat regular 12v £10 drills, just sold with grubscrews for £13 or so, get your own. for speed controlers i recomend the scorpion xl, but elelctronize are a good choice, look to spend around £100 on a esc. not trying to disccourgage you but the pnematics will be be expensive and EXTREMELY dangerous, not mention building another bloody flipper! i have a few wiper motors you could have which could be made into a basic lifter, but if you want to go for it, go for it.

i dont claim to be an feather expert but i have made £100s of errors which could have easily been avoided :D
MicroGravity100

Thanks, I've found nearly everything now!
Team Rapture
Flow (FW)
Ricochet (FW)
RPM (BW)
kickboxer

Post by kickboxer »

haz wrote:hi jarvis,

hey nice to see you getting in to feathers, the 12v motors on the robochalange website are jusat regular 12v £10 drills, just sold with grubscrews for £13 or so, get your own. for speed controlers i recomend the scorpion xl, but elelctronize are a good choice, look to spend around £100 on a esc. not trying to disccourgage you but the pnematics will be be expensive and EXTREMELY dangerous, not mention building another bloody flipper! i have a few wiper motors you could have which could be made into a basic lifter, but if you want to go for it, go for it.

i dont claim to be an feather expert but i have made £100s of errors which could have easily been avoided :D
lol.
i have to agree with harry.
they are extremely dangerous.
haz

Post by haz »

big quote ftw

yeah they are dangeorus and can easily break bones! send me a pm about the motors if your interested
MicroGravity100

Team Rapture
Flow (FW)
Ricochet (FW)
RPM (BW)
Team Nuclear

Post by Team Nuclear »

I'm no expert on pneumatics but the ram would do although it won't be able to flow very fast as the ports are quite small
the bottle would do, but paintball c02 tanks are used by almost all featherweight flippers. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20oz-CO2-Bott ... 483dcd21d1
You'll need a solenoid valve to actuate the ram so you should look for a 5/2 one.
The FRA is better for feathers so maybe you should join it as you would get more info.
Ben
The creator of... Laser, Evil Pig Sty and Striker
MicroGravity100

I have joined but I'm just waiting for my membership card to arrive in the post.
Team Rapture
Flow (FW)
Ricochet (FW)
RPM (BW)
haz

Post by haz »

i dont have a membership :lol: been on my to do list for ages, i think he ment the fra forums