mini gear motors

Places to spend cash or learn things!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

JimBeeden

mini gear motors

Post by JimBeeden »

does anyone know where i could get a pair of mini gear motors of around 50-150 :1 ratio for less than the 15 each from techno bots? or even have any spare ones that they do not need, as im very tight on money at the moment and need to buy a sabertooth 5a dual motor controller rc aswell.

thanks
Flipsting Progress: Completed version 2, first was a cardboard version, pictures will be on website when its set up
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

so far , techno bots are the cheapest uk place i can think of at the moment , as for the speed controller , i would use servo boards or ask peterwaller if you can buy one of his new controllers.
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I have just bought 10 of the HP 50:1 motors from Pololu and have been really impressed with the service. Because of the postal strike problems and the fact that last time the post office charged me ?8 just to collect the import/Vat I decided to bite the bullet and have them sent FedEx. On the face of it $40 for pp seems high but they arrived in four days from order and even with this cost they only worked out to ?10.80 each. When you consider in this country you pay over ?15 plus vat and pp and you can't get the HP versions it is very good as long as you want more than one or two.
I forgot to mention I didn't get charged any vat/duty.
widow_twanky

Post by widow_twanky »

Not sure on these but they appear the right size and weight and have a 48:1 gear ration but probably have plastic gear (speculating there)

http://robokitsworld.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=252

I have used these guys before because they do:

- A 2A h bridge using an l298 chip for ?4.50
- A 5A h bridge using darlingtons for about ?7.50
- A nice little beetleweight type chasis, motors and wheels for about ?20

http://robokitsworld.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=198

http://robokitsworld.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=171

http://robokitsworld.com/index.php?main ... ucts_id=50

If you use their cheapest postage and keep your order under about ?30 then you don't pay any import tax either.

Just working on the beetleweights for the schools stuff as it's exceptionally good value. Just need to finally sort out my interface board (unless someone feels like giving me a hand on it - nudge nudge Pete!!)

Takes about three weeks for it to come and I have found that the soldering isn't the best quality so needs a quick pass over but the components are the same cheap chinese stuff which everyone else uses.

Andy
widow_twanky

Post by widow_twanky »

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

It turned out I was being optomistic
I have just bought 10 of the HP 50:1 motors from Pololu and have been really impressed with the service. Because of the postal strike problems and the fact that last time the post office charged me ?8 just to collect the import/Vat I decided to bite the bullet and have them sent FedEx. On the face of it $40 for pp seems high but they arrived in four days from order and even with this cost they only worked out to ?10.80 each. When you consider in this country you pay over ?15 plus vat and pp and you can't get the HP versions it is very good as long as you want more than one or two.
I forgot to mention I didn't get charged any vat/duty.
Just got a bill from FedEx for ?12.37 duty and ?10 Clearance Admin Charge.
That means the motors were ?13 each. Still cheap but I might go back to normal mail next time.
slurp

Post by slurp »

Looks like the handling fees are doubling up across the board, FedEx was about ?5, Royal Mail a bit less but now ?8.

The critical point for these is the value:-
  • Customs duty if the amount of duty is ?10 ( ?7 ) or over
  • Import VAT if the value of the goods is ?22 ( ?18 ) and over

I guess this is where the cheap Ebay components slip thru' :wink:

Those motors Andy linked to can be found cheap in the UK at www.MUTR.co.uk I've been using some in my low-cost minisumo :D

regards,
colin
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I have just noticed this from Slurp, on his mini sumo site, a UK supplier that sells the Pololu HP 50:1 motor gearboxes for ?12.99 with a flat rate shipping cost of ?2.95.
http://www.robotbits.co.uk/motors-gearb ... od_10.html
Just noticed they only have one in stock but it is a start.
slurp

Post by slurp »

peterwaller wrote:Just noticed they only have one in stock but it is a start.
Yea, a recent find I forgot to post back here... there's 8 x 1:100, 2 x 1:30 and 23 of the 1 :50 if you're not looking at the High Power version.

Not checked the shipping but just noted some of Pololu's other distributors in the UK have differing prices and stock!

best regards,
colin
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I have managed to destroy strafens weapon gearbox, by running the output too long i stalled a 298:1 hp motor and one of the gears is now round... time to reduce the output time

i am looking for a high ratio gearbox if anyone has an old 298:1 motor or similar i could buy to install before snibston.

Or possible suggestions of uk web sites with high ratio sanyo styled motors so i can put the gearbox onto the hp motor? I haven't bought anything other than pololu motors in a while and i don't think it is worth buying just one motor

Thanks
TEAM GEEK!