Peter Waller Nano Adventures

If Fleaweights are just too big...

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Re: Peter Waller Nano Adventures

Post by peterwaller »

The new Lemming is now finished and working.
It comes in at 24.6 gms and should fit the new 60mm cube (don't have one yet) although as I only intend running it as a Ant cluster that doesn't really matter.
Here in action:
http://youtu.be/jqnVIo8jXWg
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Looking great Pete :) is it able to lift an ant?
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

No :oops: but in can just about lift one end so maybe able to lift the wheels off the ground. :wink:
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

That looks pretty awesome! We'll make those ants fear lemmings eventually :P
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

As many of you know I have long been a fan of the tiny DT receiver / controller boards which are even more useful in the Nano class.
In the past the one problem I have had is attaching the wires to the board and even worse reattaching them when they break off due to the hammering they get in combat.
Looking on the site recently I found a new board the RX47. (£34)
http://www.deltang.co.uk/rx47a-v611.htm
This has two full bridge outputs each giving 800ma forward / reverse brushed motor drive.
Also two half bridge outputs giving 2 A single direction brushed motor drive.
Up to 14 servo output pins.
This unit is a bit longer than the ones I have used before but it has 8 pads on a 1.27 pitch along one edge which has the following pins.
1.....F1 half bridge motor drive for brushed motor weapon.
2.3..H1 full bridge motor drive
4.....Pos supply 3 - 6 v
5.....Gnd 0 v
6.7...H2 full bridge motor drive
8.....F2 half bridge motor drive
I asked for it to be programmed so that F1 was on ch1 (thottle) for a brushed motor weapon.
H1 on ch3 (elevator) forward reverse mixing in TX
H2 on ch2 (aileron) left / right mixing in TX
F2 as a P type servo output on ch1. You do have to remove the F2 fet and add a link to get this to work with a servo but non of the standard servo output come out on the row of 8 pins.
I then soldered an 8 way connector to the board making it totally plugin.
Although the connector is tiny it does appear quite large on the board but is still a lot smaller than the standard lemon receiver which has no controllers built in.
The whole thing including connector and loom weigh in at under 2.5 gms.
The connector and loom can be found on ebay for £4.96 for 10 off at.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111386693144? ... EBIDX%3AIT
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Just popping in to say that I used a Deltang RX/ESC combo board in my Firestorm toy mod (RX65 + Daughter board) and I found it incredibly hard to drive due to the lack of brake on the motors. I e-mailed David at Deltang regarding this and he said that while he's made note of the request, it isn't a priority and he has no idea when or even if it will ever be introduced. I'm afraid you may have the same problems with this board. Best of luck though.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

First of all having hooked up the gearbox to the controller as Rory has stated it is very rapid much more than I remembered.
So I have decided to go with the gearboxes with the longer motors that I have just been experimenting with as they are more powerful and much more controllable.
Scott I have just done a quick test and there doesn't appear to be a problem with stopping although I am not sure why exactly.
Because these controller are really designed for model trains they do have soft start and presumably soft stop.
The DX65 on the older V610 firmware could be set from 5.9 s to 74 ms.
The DX47 on the V611 firmware can be set from immediate to 8 s so that might be part of the reason.
The other thing I have noticed is that even with my controllers these gearboxes seem to stop very quickly almost like a worm drive.
Here it is in action with it set to immediate showing start and stop both of which are faster than my reactions.
https://youtu.be/cEnFZvYU-wI
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Finally got round to trying to fix my Nano n which got rather chewed up at the last AWS.
I discovered that the damage was worse than I had realized and some of the small gears were missing so I decided to rebuild from scratch.
I ordered some of the 6 mm gear motors from Technobots as though they were a lot dearer than from China they were much quicker delivery.
Unfortunately their site doesn't show stock levels and I only received 2 motors the rest to follow in about two weeks which didn't impress me.
So I ordered a couple from China as I wanted them for the AWS but then remembered I had two old ones in an early version of 10 to the minus 8.
Unfortunately one of the motors was damaged so I fitted the gearbox to one of the motor from the old n (which had the much slower gearbox).
So finally I had enough to build the new version shown below.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

peterwaller wrote:.. got rather chewed up at the last AWS.
My bad :roll:

I thought you bought 10 of those motors originally.. what happened to them all?
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

You are right I had forgotten that. :oops:
I just had a quick count up and there are 4 in Alsoran, 2 in the new 10 -8, 2 in one billionth and the 2 I just recycled.
On a slightly different thread I finally got round to printing a 60 mm cube for the Nano's and even Alsoran and Leming1 fit in.