Rule 2j - name labels (and typographical error with rule 5e)

A discussion forum for proposed changes to the AWS rules (2014)

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Forum rules
* Only one rule per thread. Any deviation will be moved by the moderators.
* Keep the discussions on-topic, relevant and polite. Anything else WILL be removed by the moderators.
* If you start a new thread (to discuss a different rule) quote the existing rule in the first post so everyone knows what you're talking about.
* The existing rules (version 4.2) can be found here: http://robotwars101.org/ants/rules.htm
joey_picus

Rule 2j - name labels (and typographical error with rule 5e)

Post by joey_picus »

2j) Robots must be clearly labeled with their names. A clusterbot must display the name of the cluster on all botlets.
I am aware that my opinion on this is already well known and some people will be going "no, Joey, please don't" upon seeing this, so apologies in advance :) but I would like to propose this rule be abolished for the following reasons:

- it's never been especially well enforced - in theory it should be checked before every event, but I've only seen this happen a few times and it doesn't fulfil any sort of safety purpose;
- The main reason I've been given when asking about it in the past is so robots can be distinguished and identified on video - I don't believe the resolution of video or live streaming is anywhere near good enough to make out the text on most robots, and with recent events commentary tends to fill the role of identifying robots for the audience;
- The other main reason I've been given is to prevent people swapping out one robot for another between rounds - surely there's enough differences between robots that look similar to be able to tell, and I'd like to think as a community we're above that in any case!;
- The other other main reason I've been given is to identify robots to the event organiser, and I would argue that the start of the day tech check would provide enough opportunity for the event organiser(s) to learn which robots were which - and as most event organisers are roboteers themselves, they tend to know already!
- The rule allows for a lot of abuse while remaining within the letter of it (mostly by me), as there's no requirement that the name be written in a prominent location, in the English language, or using the Latin script, so a robot can have its name written in Japanese, or indicated on the base panel in Braille, and technically comply with rule 2j while not providing any of the supposed benefits.

Therefore, I'd like to politely request for the rule's removal if possible?

(Also, I do wish to point out that in rule 5e, the references to earlier rules are wrong - it identifies the name label rule as 2i and edge protection as 2j)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
haz

Re: Rule 2j - name labels (and typographical error with rule

Post by haz »

I'm up for letting go of the name labels rule. People can and probably will still have them, its just not forcing people to should they not want to "spoil" their robots appearance or resort to putting silly names in silly places.
Psychostorm

Post by Psychostorm »

I disagree. I think it should remain in force.

The only reason I, as a competitor with a really bad memory*, actually knows who I am fighting next is because they have the name written on the machine.

It's not really like anything is shaped like what it's named after. Corn snake is neithera snake nor corn flakes. R2D2 ewok defense doesn't look like R2D2 or an ewok. Robot simulator is real but does look a robot, which really is a needle in a haystack job at a robot combat competition. Then you have Yo (forgotten celebrity's name), stop coming to my house.

* I mean a seriously bad short term memory. I once beat Harry with Angry Bird having completely forgotten he was driving the robot I saw him hold earlier.
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

I agree with Joey.
I have no idea what the name of an opponent robot is a lot of the time. If it is labelled, 9 times out of 10 it is written in felt tip pen on the underneath, (like all but one of mine).
So it is pretty much unreadable anyway. Bin it, I say. :)
The only time when it is actually of use, AFAIK, is during registration. But not to any huge extent.
Dont get me wrong,it is really nice to see a name emblazoned proudly onto a robots armour, but to be forced to do it is pointless I think.
Cheeeers Jim.
playzooki

Post by playzooki »

Maybe the judges / eo's could have a printout with pictrues of all the robots and their names?
StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Psychostorm wrote:I disagree. I think it should remain in force.
I'm with Psychostorm on this one. As a frequent spectator but not-yet-competitor I would have very little idea of which robot was which at my first competition. Being able to read the robot names on the robots rather than repeatedly asking is very useful. For me felt-tip pen is absolutely fine...
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

I totally agree, StuartL.
I think that being able to walk around the pits and see a robots name on the robot would be great. But it absolutely does not happen like that at the moment with the current rule in place. The vast majority of robot names are not visible when they are in the pits. How about name plates for robots for when they are resting between fights,could be as simple as a piece of a4 paper with the name in marker pen. it would be the only way to be able to actually easily see a robots name. It is impractical to have all robots names clearly visible on the robots.

Something as simple as this would be great, I think. It would be much more visible than trying to fit a long name on a short robot, with a marker pen.
Think I might do this at events anyway! :)
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I might be with you on that one Jim :) it'd serve the purpose a lot better than mandating name labels would I think, and it'd help me organise my pit space a bit better!
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Joey wrote:I might be with you on that one Jim :) it'd serve the purpose a lot better than mandating name labels would I think, and it'd help me organise my pit space a bit better!
Hi Joey! :)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

With the number of robots at the last few event you will be lucky to get that much space for all of your team.
I must admit I think that names on robot is a great thing and I would go further and say it should be legible, in english, clearly visible with the robot in its start position and enforced. :D