are super ants still alive ?

Like antweights...only bigger!! (Unfortunately dead now...)

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

muchalucha

are super ants still alive ?

Post by muchalucha »

Ive got an ant that's too heavy and too big but fits nicely into the super ant category , so is there still enough interest in it basically, id like to fight some more super ants as its never faught anything but another normal ant weight.
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
Team Terror

Post by Team Terror »

Hi :)
I think that the superant class is officailly defunct, but I would love to revive it as I have some parts lying around that are a little too large for ants. What are the rules for supers, anyway?
Jack Evans,
Capatin,
Team Terror
BTW: will you be at AWS 28? If you bring your super, and I slap one together using these spare parts I have lying around, we might be able to drum up some more interest for supers :D
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

I think that the rules were 250g and a 6 inch cube, but nobody built any so we cut them out of the rules.

I for one would be happy to see some "white board matches" against superants during a Reading Robot Club. Just bear in mind you guys what a 250g spinner would be capable of doing to your superants!

Simon
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I think I was one of the last people to build specifically a Superant, most were overweight ants, but the very first Stewie was designed and built as a Superant
Team Terror

Post by Team Terror »

Hi :)
So, is anyone actually interested in reviving the superant class? If not, then there's no point in me building one and I'll just focus on my antweights. Please post here if you're interested. Oh, and if any of you have superants, could you please bring them to AWS 28? We might be able to have some demo fights :)
Best Regards,
Jack Evans
Captain,
Team Terror
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

There were too many problems with Superants. People just used to put extra weight on their ant, or enter 2 ants as a clusterbot, which annoyed people like me who were trying to build one specifically for it. So I didn't bother anymore and seen as though there were only a few of us actually trying, we just knocked it on the head. I personally think its one weight class too far.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Kwijebo on wheels with 4 lipos hmmm.

The problem i see with super ants is if they are built with standard RC parts, they will proberly less effective than a good ant.

I agree with dave on the one weight class too far, aim to build an ant and you will get lots more events and fights from it.
TEAM GEEK!
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

As mentioned super ants were just ants made with standard parts found within a sky sports rc kit. We did have a fairly big competition at aws 20 if I remember rightly but most of the time they were either modded walker ant weights to wheeled ant weights. Or mine which was Psychos (psycho and and psycho flea).
Nowadays since light weight servos and RX are cheaper super ants seems less desirable. Of course I havn't been to an aws since 23 so my opinion may be a bit dated but thats what I think.
<-=AWS 10 1st and 2nd champ=->
<-=AWS 13 1st and 2nd champ=->
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

SuperAnts had their day, and I was very keen on promoting them as an entry-level class.

However, time moves on and things change. As mentioned above, people entered ants as "cluster bots" or simply entered their ants into the SuperAnt class (no rule about being too small/light ! ) With the gear that's commonly available now, a "high tech" SuperAnt could be quite terrifying and somewhat unfair against a robot built from a few standard R/C components.

Now that micro servos and receivers are as cheap as the standard size ones there is not much advatage for the beginner in building a SuperAnt. In fact, I think the difference between "high tech" and "basic" is smaller at ant-weight than at SuperAnt.

SuperAnts were dropped from the rules a few years ago and I don't see any real reason for resurrecting them. As Dave said, one weight class to far...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

ok :( just ahve to make thants junior (he hasnt got a name yet so this is it for now :lol:) smalller , yep u guys are right about this , theres no point just opening up another competiton for slightly hevaier ants , and no i wont be attnedign aws 28 , next ones robots live :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide