3D Printing

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

3D Printing

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Read a couple of interesting facts about 3D printing on Twitter recently I thought I'd share.

A guy gave a talk on it and said its currently possible to print 70% of the parts to make...another 3D printer! This is how the machines will take over! They'll be able to self-multiply soon!

Also, the website The Pirate Bay put out an announcement that they'll be doing file sharing on 3D printer files soon. Looking towards a future where you'll be able to download an object from the internet (legally or otherwise). Are 3D printers ever going to become as cheap and user-friendly as ink printers are now?
It's a huge, almost scary thought!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Re: 3D Printing

Post by BeligerAnt »

That's the idea behind the RepRap machine - basically an open source DIY 3D printer. Most of the structural parts are, you guessed it, 3D printed.
Also, this is the way machine tools evolved - thanks to the clockmakers. Use your lathe to build a better lathe, repeat... :)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: 3D Printing

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

What's a lathe? :wink:
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39