new forum

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Re: new forum

Post by peterwaller »

I bet that is a relief I hate changing anything working as it often seems to stop but it is looking great.
Couple of queries when you get time if you click on the name of a thread it takes to the first page not the last.
By not having the links to photo's open a new tab when you test the links in preview mode you lose all your post and have to start again.
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

What browser are you using Peter?

There is an option to always open links in a new window/ tab.

New forum is lookind shiny though.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

PeterW, if you click on the little numbers in the boxes on the right hand side of the "Topic" column, it will take you to the page you choose. It took me a little while to get used to that one, I think the page links used to be closer to the topic title...

Enabling avatars requires PeteC to set up a directory (folder) where avatars can be uploaded to, and setting the correct permissions for it. Other than that, it's just a case of ticking a box on the control panel :wink:

One new feature is that you can embed flash animations in posts :o And you can define "friends and foes" :-? . Note foes are more-or-less ignored by you, so use with care! More info in the FAQ (link at top-right of page).

Oh and I just found another cool new feature! :)
If someone posts to a topic whilst you are composing your (overly long-winded :wink: ) post, when you hit "submit" it will show you the new post and allow you to edit your post in the light of new information! Cool!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I just upgraded to IE9 a couple of days ago and havent got all my settings back so you could be right Jordan.
I know you can use the boxes Gary but if you are idle like me it is much easier if you just click the title and I am sure I have seen it working on other forums.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Good work Pete, it is indeed looking very nice :) although I will have to get used to the blue...

Might take the opportunity to do a proper signature and avatar for once.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Just a quick note to say thanks to PeteC for all the hard work.
My thanks also, it's very snazzy :D
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

peterwaller wrote:I just upgraded to IE9 a couple of days ago and havent got all my settings back so you could be right Jordan.
I know you can use the boxes Gary but if you are idle like me it is much easier if you just click the title and I am sure I have seen it working on other forums.
Try Tools (the gear) -> Internet options -> General tab -> Settings (under tabs) -> Always open pop-ups in new window/tab and restart your browser.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I had it set to always open links in a new window/tab and have now added pop-ups as well but it still doesn't do it.
I noticed before that the FRA site always did this where as this site didn't so I assume it is a forum setting.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Not sure if this was the same on the old forum but the clock is 1 hour out. Could it be due to BST?
TEAM GEEK!
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »