CNC Mill / Router

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Very nice Pete, have you noticed any backlash? But will you be able to drive it?
TEAM GEEK!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

It seems quite good I have tested it on the z axis as you can easily lock the travel and then see how much movement you can get on the handle. It seems to be <0.1 mm which is probably the best you can hope for without going to precision ball screws. Fortunately the computer does the driveing so it works out OK.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

0.1mm is not too bad.

Looking forward to what you come up with
TEAM GEEK!
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

I've been looking at making my own CNC machine with this guide:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-to ... g-Machine/

Altought it will be limited to certain materials, it would still be cool, and cheap.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
slurp

Post by slurp »

These are interesting applications of control but I always wonder about the choice of tool for home construction.

If you're routing or milling then you need to get both the right tool bits and the right tool. Shattering dill bit are not nice, and it's frustrating when the drill bearing are knackered because we've subjected them to un expected side loads.

I still think they're great ideas and I'm envious of Peter's new toy.

regards,
colin
olivers

Post by olivers »

Joacim, let me know how you go. I was going to build the bigger one I listed above. Want to mill at least A4 sheets of styrene so need a bigger area. Not too bothered about cutting metal or anything.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I am starting to get the hang of the CNC machine I can even change tools now. What I do is generate two G code files from the same basic drawing for each of the two tools and add a command to go to X=0 and Y=0 at the end of the first. I can then manually adjust the z axis up change the tool and then set the Z back so the new tool is just touching the top surface of the material then run the second G code file. Here are a my latest creations one leg and the spinner for the new Mutant.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/ ... MG0639.jpg
The spinner is made from 5mm Aluminium so it will need some tougher material adding to the leading edges.
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

can you buy the motor contoroller? or is it a kit
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Just been thinking about retrofitting my mill, what was the name of the company that made the motor mount fixtures pete?
TEAM GEEK!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The company is: http://www.frsservices.co.uk/
This system uses the standard leadscrews so is not as precise as those with precision ground leadscrews but it seems to do the sort of things I need accurately enough.

Peter