Odd spinner problem....

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Rhys

Odd spinner problem....

Post by Rhys »

I've had a bit of a problem, and was just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience. I've just been testing out my spinner, and as I throttle up between 40-70% i get horrible vibrations. But then when it gets over 70% it all seems fine, and I can continue on to 100% without any problems.

Any ideas why this has happened? I could understand if it got worse at 100%, but not why it gets better.
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Can it be the gyro effect?
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I have had this problem with some spinners that are badly balanced. The vibration is often worse at low speed I think due to hitting some kind of resonance. If you get the spinner well balanced it should be OK at all speeds.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Yes, balance problems will often be at their worst over a fairly small speed range. I used to have a car that periodically suffered from worn track rod ends. It would shake like anything - but only at 70mph - any slower (or faster :oops: ) and it would be perfectly fine. I think you get the same effect if a car wheel isn't balanced properly - you only really notice it at certain speeds.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

peterwaller wrote:...due to hitting some kind of resonance...
Yep, that's what I was looking for. Well that's fine with me. I wasn't plannig on being below 100% throttle that much :P
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

due to hitting some kind of resonance
You mean, like your hapless opponent? :lol:
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Now I got a odd spinner problem...

I was test-spinning Desire, and pretty much went okey, except one thing:
My brushless motor has reversed direction! It was spinning clockwise when I started the spinup, but when I tried a second time it went anti-clockwise.

I didnt do any changes with the setup.

EDIT!!! I just swaped some cables and its going clockwise again :)
But I'm still wondering over how the motor could reverse direction, without changing any cables.
Swedish style!
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

That is very odd that it changed direction without changing anything. There could have been a short circuit somewhere.

Might as well say swapping two of the 3 wires to a brushless motor will change its direction.
TEAM GEEK!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I get that with brushed motors all the time, didnt think it would happen with brushless ones though.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Cant be bothered to start a new thread...

Yet another problem accours, just a few days before the event!! :evil:

I've got a E-tec 300HP batterypack, and when I tested Desire tuesday afternoon, it stopped! The ESC did some sounds and blinked, and I thought it was just a need for a re-charge. When connecting to my charger on 3 cells, it says its wrong amount of cells!

I quickly grabbed my Digital multimeter, and to my horror, it showed only 8,4V! A cell is dead! :cry:

I will go out and buy a new one later, but heres my question:
The pack I'm using atm is 300mAh. If I add another ?4, I can get 450mAh. I got the weight and space. Should I get it instead?
Swedish style!