Attaching wheels

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Attaching wheels

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Any tips on attaching drive wheels to servos? Its the only bit I'm finding difficult. Cheers.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

There are loads of different ways to do this, firstly you could glue the servo horn to the wheel and then screw that on. If the wheel you are using has a bit out of the side that fits over the servo gear but keeps falling off you can drill a hole through this and the output gear and put a small pin through both. I am sure other people use different mothods.
TEAM GEEK!
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

I agree with Andrew. The best way to attach a wheel to a servo is to attach it to the servo horn and then attach the horn to the servo in the normal way.

Simon
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

If using servos, then the best way is definitely to use the servo horns! (Unless you fancy making your own splined socket - I didn't think so!)

I usually glue the wheel to the servo horn, then drill some holes to match the ones in the horn and put some 1mm copper wire through like a staple and fix it in place with some hot-melt glue. This is a bomb-proof method if your wheels are made of something that is difficult to glue to.

Alternatively, if you can find some very small self-tapping screws, you can screw the wheel to the servo horn by screwing into the holes in the horn arms.

Centring the wheels on the horns (or vice-versa) can be tricky. Some horns have a raised ridge around the central hole. If you can drill a hole in the centre of your wheel that is the same size as the ridge it will give a means of location whilst you glue/pin/screw.
Don't forget you need a hole in the wheel anyway to get to the fixing screw for the servo horn! Don't rely on push-fitting the horns to the servos without screws. Too many people have lost a wheel (and hence a fight) this way.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Cheers guys. Pinning/stapling the wheels on works fine, and I've also found some spare screws I can use, so. Ta for the info.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39