A few queries

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

would you say you could fight without causing much damage and that your robot is safe without a battlebox?
Lol, yea I would. There is no fear what-so-ever of it causing any damage. It just spins so its harder to get hold of.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

In my opinion its not safe to run any spinner (offensive or defensive) without a battlebox, It can catch an edge on anything and throw its self or another object which could be dangerous. Also what happends if the disc seperates from the shaft?
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Its really not an issue with mine. It only spins off a servo, not a motor. It is really slow and spins the entire shell, purely so that it is harder to get hold of.
I can make it interchangeable so it doesnt spin anyway, so I'll show up to an event with it in both states and then a judgement can be made by people. I'm happy eitha way.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Remote-Controlled Dave

Bin puzzling me this, what is the 4" cube rule actually for? Cause it restricts design a lot. Is it simply so all ants can be contained in the same arenas? If so, why cant there be 2 different divisions, ones that fit in the cube, and ones that dont, and different competitions for both.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Bigshot team capt

Post by Bigshot team capt »

It doesn't matter if it doesn't fit properly... AS long as teh entire robot can be shoved in somehow. It's basically to stop any1 turning up with an Ant as big as teh arena... (see Tornado, the time it won RW after cheating it's way past Razer in the final-not quite the same, but u get teh general idea...)
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

Bigshot team capt wrote:It doesn't matter if it doesn't fit properly... AS long as teh entire robot can be shoved in somehow. It's basically to stop any1 turning up with an Ant as big as teh arena... (see Tornado, the time it won RW after cheating it's way past Razer in the final-not quite the same, but u get teh general idea...)
Choose your words carefully. It did not cheet, it was perfectly within the rules to do what they did.
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

but why not have a seperate, bigger arena for tournements for non-cube ants? or is it just too inappropriate to build and transport one?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Bigshot team capt

Post by Bigshot team capt »

Sorry, I'm a Razer fan. Changing weapons, fair enough, but altering the entire shape of the robot is not on in my opinion. Plus it didn't fit in teh pit...
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

What a great argument that continues to be over the years, but I'm a Tornado fan so you can guess what I think.

Well I don't know what the original idea was behind the 4 inch rule (and I wish it was 10cm. Say four inches to small kids and you have to explain what an inch is) but it's what we've got, and I don't think anyone's going to build a theoretically infinite battlebox to safely encompass a theoretically infinite antweight. Also rule 3a specifies the size of the arena.
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Actually, while we're talking about the rules, I've just looked over them again, and I've noticed the following (perhaps worthy of consideration for V3.1 sometime.

Rules 2a + 2b should be merged with 2x +2y (weights and clusterbot weights).

rules 2 q + r (continuous to more than one plane) still don't make sense to me. Also they are not specific to armour or weapons, as I think had previously been mentioned. Perhaps if we had a really detailed discussion about it we could get to the bottom of what is wanted and meant here, and then we could specify the the rule in a clear and unambiguous way.

rule 4i states a maximum crystal change time for a clusterbot, but there is no maximum crystal change time for an ordinary robot. What was the thinking here?

Rule 5a states that scales must be accurate to 1g, but what it actually means (I think) is precise. i.e that it displays each gram and not only changes of two grams, for example.

Rule 5i "No spitting or swearing or punching" I still don't like it. It makes us sound exactly like what some people think we are, and I know we're not, if you see what I mean.