A few queries

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

A few queries

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Come up with a couple of questions which aint explained by the rules, wonder if there are answers, or if I've hit on summit previously unthought of:

1) If a cluster bot has one "walker/shuffle" component and one "roller" component to it, does it still get the weight advantage of a standard walker/shufflebot?

2) Flying ants. Permitted or not?

3) What's the minimum weight for an ant.

Also looking for some easy ways to attach wheels to servo horns, if anyone has any suggestions. Ta.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I think most of these questions have come up before, but with the recent demise of most of the forum I can't check at the mo'.

1) So far there have been precious few rolling cluster bots and precious few walkers, let alone walking clusters! I think there was a suggestion that a walking/rolling cluster should get half the walking allowance - i.e. a total of 200g, but I can't recall any decision.

2) A flying device would need to use 35MHz R/C (not 40MHz). If you think it through, how feasible is a competitive flying device that fits in the cube and weight limit? And could you fly it accurately enough in a box less than a metre square and 0.5m high?

3) There is no prescribed minimum weight. There is a practical minimum of maybe 25-30g, but generally weight is an advantage so most robots are built close to the 150g limit. There is a little-supported Fleaweight class which is 75g.

Hope this helps
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

Cheers Gary.
However, I reakon a primitive flying ant IS feasible, I think you're thinking too technically. I might have a go at my idea, it would run on 40MHz, fit in the 4"cube and actually, I'm worried about it being too light! Control wouldn't be brilliant, I admit, but it would still work.
If I decide to try it, I don't think there is any rule to stop it competing is there?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Rockets? about the only thing I could think of...
BeligerAnt wrote:There is a practical minimum of maybe 25-30g,
Sounds like a challenge to me :D
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

Not to contradict you gary but I believe the last time this came up it was said (but not set in stone) that you would get something like 187.5g (1/2way between 150 and 225). But its very unlikely to ever happen.
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk
Bigshot team capt

Post by Bigshot team capt »

Are we talking a hovercraft, or proper flight?
Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher »

Duff wrote:
BeligerAnt wrote:There is a practical minimum of maybe 25-30g,
Sounds like a challenge to me :D
been there, done that,

the drive of DBA on 1 145 mah lipo weights 24 gr
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Raizor wrote:...something like 187.5g (1/2way between 150 and 225).
Yes, you're right, I just couldn't remember the correct weight limit for walkers, or do the maths properly. It had been a very busy day!
But its very unlikely to ever happen.
I agree!

Flying models *must* use 35MHz or 27MHz, *not* 40MHz (it's the law!).

Note hovercraft do not fly (they need to be very close to the ground to work) and therefore do use 40MHz!

Anyone considering their first ant is strongly recommended to build a straightforward roller, as it is enough of a challenge without making things more difficult.

I reckoned 2 x 4g servos, 10g receiver, 4g LiPo battery and 5-10g for wheels etc. A lighter receiver is probably possible. I wouldn't rate its chances very highly though! :)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

I can't understand how a flying ant could win a match, although it would be very cool.

Simon
Remote-Controlled Dave

No, it wouldnt be very practical, n would probably only win because no one else could get at it, but I was thinking of something using balloons and fans...not a practical build, but possible maybe?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39