Titanium

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Dominant has three 2mm aluminium wedge shape tines at the front which are what passes for a weapon. They in no way afford protection to either servo's, wheels, receiver or batteries apart from the front so I don't see how they could be considered armour. Besides that Dominant has not competed in a world series for some years now so is not a very good example to quote.
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

Maybe this is a better example.

http://www.antweight.co.uk/results/ws14 ... batAnt.jpg

That protects the servos.
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I can't remeber the thickness of the aluminium on that version of combatant but as it was a chassis it does't matter. The wheels were completely outside the aluminium and it was only about 12 to 15mm deep which would not protect much of the 50mm hight. The sole use of the aluminium was to provide a wedge at the rear and to mount the servos and weapons motor. If it was supposed to be armour it would have been a poor design. Any one can challenge a robot design at a competition if they think it is outside the rules and I don't remeber you complaining when you borrowed Dominant for one competition. Can we take it from your interest that your thinking of competing in another world series event. Maybe if you designed a robot with a weapon on it you could use that to pick holes in my robots for real instead of just verbally. :roll:
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

Peter I think your being a bit harsh there. Maybe your taking me up wrong. I am not objecting to your design or use of aluminium I am just asking if I can use it to as a chassis.

Edit: I have removed my comment as I do not want to further damage antweights due to comments of some builders.
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

If you were to show us a picture, it might make it easier for us to "see" what you mean Ian.

Simon
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Ian, you know as well as anyone that the rules define armour as "A protective layer or skin".

If your 2mm metal is armour then it is not allowed by the rules. Adding "a thin layer of plastic" as you suggest would change nothing. The metal would still be armour!

Stop sniping at other people's designs, it does you no favours. As you know, inappropriate posts may be deleted by the moderators and persistant offenders can be banned.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt