New category of robots - Killerweight?

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Simon Windisch

New category of robots - Killerweight?

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hi there,

I just had a thought (and I couldn't work out which forum to put it in).

Wouldn't it be nice, I thought, If I could build a robot to give all those rc machines that we have in the house a good seeing to. Unfortunately my antweights are too small to make an impression on the likes of our rc house robots.

Then I suddenly thought, well antweights are 150g, featherweights are a bit too big at 12.5kg. How about a new class, perhaps 1kg, perhaps called Killerweight?

Just a thought.

Simon
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

Simon

A while back the same idea was put forward and some people (including myself) actually built a 1kg robot. They were called Kilobots, and never really took off.

They may take off now but there are so many other weight classes why make another one. To see reasons for and against new weight classes visit the fra forum and under the featherweight section look at "Hobbyweights Anyone".
http://www.extremefightingmachines.co.u ... 1081982315

Regards
Ian
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk
Bigshot team capt

Post by Bigshot team capt »

I've been working to antweight rules, with a 1kilo limit for ages now. Nobody seems to have taken any notice...

Go go Kilobots!
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Kilobots have always sounded like a good idea to me, but they're just a bit unpractical. Firstly, you'd need other people to build them first. If I was to build a kilobot, who could I fight?

Plus you'd need an arena, which would be too big to transport to events by car. Plus it would cost a lot to build, as you'd need much more polycarb.

Plus there's the cost. Can we really afford another weight catagory. I have ants and feathers, and when I used to build both, I was skint. Some people build ants as well. This would just be another cost.

So in theory, yes, great idea. But in reality, it's going to be difficult for them to take off.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

There's quite a few Kilobots in the US, it might be worth seeing if we can get a US builder that builds them to come here and let us know basic outlines of rules etc. that they have over there, aswell as other various info. If we get enough interest (4 or 5 people) maybe we could have a small kilobot comp at a future WS?
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

I would certainly be up for that, perhaps a nice side line for me while I save up for my Featherweight :)

I suppose R/C Car batteries and motors could be used and would be powerful enough?
If so they wouldn't be too expensive (apart from the R/C) I think it would be pointless creating anymore "official" weight catagorys, but to have a small competition in other competitions is a good idea.
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

If we excluded spiners then we wouldn't need a supersize battlebox, which is a shame, as I'd quite like to build a "killer spinner"

Simon
Last edited by Simon Windisch on Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigshot team capt

Post by Bigshot team capt »

Dammit, my autonomous Kilobot was gonna have a spinner. Oh well, go for the crushing thing instead...
Surely with proper use of hinges and stuff, an easily transportable arena could be made?
Does anybody live near Hull (east yorkshire)?
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

If you wanted to make it more like america why not use the Beatle class. 3lb's. about 1.3608kg. Would make it more competitive if you went to the us or the us roboteers came over here.
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Interesting idea Ian. When's the last time a US robot came over here or vice versa?

Simon