After the esc, the other stuff - simplistic questions

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

minionhunter

Re: After the esc, the other stuff - simplistic questions

Post by minionhunter »

minionhunter wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:11 pm
MarkR wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:32 pm About motors - there are some "N10" motors for sale on Aliexpress (thanks for the tip-off, George), I just got some of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3292382 ... b201603_53

They are a few mm shorter and slightly lighter than N20, I've not tried them yet, but they arrived much sooner than I expected (I thought they wouldn't turn up until after Chinese New Year). I ordered 700rpm 6v variant, that might be too fast, I'll find out soon.
I am ordering 10 of these. I'm going to order soon and was wondering if you know about the speed and if the 700 is too much or not. I'll just try the 700 if I don't hear back. That should be a good start.

Do you have a trusted seller on aliexpress for the n20 motors? I'll order a bunch. Maybe it is just seeing how it goes.
I'm kind of wondering if I should also get 10 of the n10 420 rpm motors while I'm at it.

What do you (whoever is reading this) think most people drive? 400 or 500 or 600 n20 motors?

I just don't want to wind up getting a bunch of motors that I can't use because they drive too fast to be controlled well...
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

I keep posting it, but I am so grateful for all the help. I'm getting really excited about everything, but now I'll have to wait a month until most of it shows up...

Couple more questions while I am at it

Do you typically order batteries from a trusted in country source and use known brands or just go cheap and use fleebay or another Chinese source?

Other than Turnigy are there good battery brands? Same with chargers.

Does anyone have a recommendation for cheap/free boards I can get for my 11 and 8 year olds to practice soldering on? (I should practice a bit too since I haven't done serious work for 20 years) maybe I'll check at work in the trash...

I'm a neuroscientist and professor so maybe I can find something going to be rubbish here.

Is there anything you recommend that I get that is something you have/use that really helps? Like I have a bunch of tweezers I use (I'm a tweezer snob) and a flip down magnifying hat that make my life simpler.

I've thought about getting a magnetic bowl for small parts of a sheet to go under a silicone tray (but that's highly electrostatic so maybe not).

I'm rigging up a blower with a tube to suck out the lead fumes so my wife won't freak out about the kids soldering...

Likely will not translate across the pond but I am having a devil of a time finding a good toolbox that flips up with trays and/but can store larger devices like my soldering iron in the bottom. I'm all ears for recommendations.

Again thank you for everything! I wish I was going to meet you all on Saturday, but I will have to enjoy Antfreeze 7 via YT.
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Kyro wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:20 pm 700 is pretty fast, but if you follow my youtube link on how to set up mixing, it also shows how you can limit the top speed easily...

i use 600rpm motors but could happily go up to 700...
Sweet, I missed this. I'll just order a bunch of 700's for now and get the 5% discount.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

minionhunter wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:44 pm I keep posting it, but I am so grateful for all the help. I'm getting really excited about everything, but now I'll have to wait a month until most of it shows up...

Do you typically order batteries from a trusted in country source and use known brands or just go cheap and use fleebay or another Chinese source?
I always use Hobbyking.

In the UK there are some pretty strict rules about shipping lipo batteries, they can't go through the normal (cheap) post, but instead have to go through a carrier who will take them. So there is usually an extra special shipping charge, so it makes sense to buy a few packs at once (e.g. if you want some different sizes).

Having said that, Hobbyking are also very competitive, so there is really no reason to get anywhere else unless HK don't have what you want.

I did get slightly stung by accidentally ordering the packs with the tiny balance charger (JST-PH, 2mm pitch) plug instead of the usual one (JST-XH, 2.5mm pitch), but I just bought some connectors and knocked up an adaptor for charging.
Does anyone have a recommendation for cheap/free boards I can get for my 11 and 8 year olds to practice soldering on? (I should practice a bit too since I haven't done serious work for 20 years) maybe I'll check at work in the trash...
These kits are quite fun:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000209948810.html - figet spinner - surface mount soldering practice
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32804542799.html - clock - pin-through-hole soldering practice.

The pin-through-hole one is more difficult to assemble because there are parts on both sides. Some of the parts block access to solder other parts, so it's possible to get it wrong and have to do tricky reworking, reworking pin-through-hole stuff is really not easy.
Is there anything you recommend that I get that is something you have/use that really helps? Like I have a bunch of tweezers I use (I'm a tweezer snob) and a flip down magnifying hat that make my life simpler.
For soldering, flux pens. They make everything easy. And some really thin solder, like 0.4mm.

Mark
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

MarkR wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:31 pm
minionhunter wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:44 pm I keep posting it, but I am so grateful for all the help. I'm getting really excited about everything, but now I'll have to wait a month until most of it shows up...

I always use Hobbyking.

In the UK there are some pretty strict rules about shipping lipo batteries, they can't go through the normal (cheap) post, but instead have to go through a carrier who will take them. So there is usually an extra special shipping charge, so it makes sense to buy a few packs at once (e.g. if you want some different sizes).

Having said that, Hobbyking are also very competitive, so there is really no reason to get anywhere else unless HK don't have what you want.

I did get slightly stung by accidentally ordering the packs with the tiny balance charger (JST-PH, 2mm pitch) plug instead of the usual one (JST-XH, 2.5mm pitch), but I just bought some connectors and knocked up an adaptor for charging.
These kits are quite fun:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000209948810.html - figet spinner - surface mount soldering practice
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32804542799.html - clock - pin-through-hole soldering practice.

The pin-through-hole one is more difficult to assemble because there are parts on both sides. Some of the parts block access to solder other parts, so it's possible to get it wrong and have to do tricky reworking, reworking pin-through-hole stuff is really not easy.
For soldering, flux pens. They make everything easy. And some really thin solder, like 0.4mm.

Mark
Thank you Mark!
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Kyro wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:54 am the mg90 and mg92b are very different servo's but do indeed have metal gears (mg in the name stands for metal gear)

for your use (fun for the kids) do you need to spend $120 on 4 servo's or would probably about $32 for 4 servo's (mg92b) be a better option?

the mg92b is the best servo i use and i find it fully capable for what i need it for... obviously if your needs are more then go for the kst or kingmax... but i doubt you would be disappointed with a mg92b...
I just realized that it was mg92b instead of mg92

I think my best price on ebay is $44 for 6 of them (mg92b). I'll get 6 of these too. I'm also going to get 4 of the kingmax km1203md servos.

Is it just mg90 or is there a letter after it? I've seen a number of different versions on ebay. Lots of different specs. So I just want to make sure what I'm getting is correct.

Also Kyro why did you choose the mg90 for the lifter? Is it just the cheapest? Is it because it weighs less? Does it have better torque for lifting? I'm just curious.

Also your yarn trick for your transmitters is excellent. I'm stealing that without mercy for mine and my kids. I'll have each person take a different color and if we each need more than one we can vary the color with patterns for quick identification.

Also thanks for the videos they are highly useful. I owe you a night of drinking when I finally make it over there. Not sure when that will be, but I will sometime.
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

So if the servo information doesn't say 360 degree rotation, nor anything else about rotation, how do you know it is 360 degrees or not?

Does the 450 helicopter designation carry that implication?
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

If a servo doesn't specify, then it's safe to assume it's not a 360 degree. A 360 degree servo is basically a gear motor with a built in esc, Whereas a servo will rotate to a specific position depending on the signal. 360 degree continuous rotation servos are usually advertised as being for robot drive, and are nearly all mods of 9g servos. I haven't come across any 450 heli servos that are continuous rotation.

Also the mg90 is essentially the sg90 but with metal gears. There are 3 variants available on servoshop, and they are the mg90s, the mg90d, and the mg90d 360 degree. The only difference between the s and d that I'm aware of is that the d is digital, and generally an "upgrade" according to towerpro.
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

LimaHotel wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:52 am If a servo doesn't specify, then it's safe to assume it's not a 360 degree. A 360 degree servo is basically a gear motor with a built in esc, Whereas a servo will rotate to a specific position depending on the signal. 360 degree continuous rotation servos are usually advertised as being for robot drive, and are nearly all mods of 9g servos. I haven't come across any 450 heli servos that are continuous rotation.

Also the mg90 is essentially the sg90 but with metal gears. There are 3 variants available on servoshop, and they are the mg90s, the mg90d, and the mg90d 360 degree. The only difference between the s and d that I'm aware of is that the d is digital, and generally an "upgrade" according to towerpro.
Thanks! That's really helpful.

However I'm confused now

I thought I wanted to get 360 degree servos

But the ones that were recommended to me are not 360 servos?

I can't find the kingmax km1203md, the kst ks215mg, nor the towerpro mg92b say anything about being 360 servos.

Km1203md
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291448 ... 4iHO3&mp=1

Kst ks215mg
https://www.amainhobbies.com/kst-ds215m ... v3/p486910

Towerpro mg92b
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Towerpro-M ... 0005.m1851

I just want to make sure I'm getting the correct thing.

Also it says Bangor in your description! Are you from Maine? I'm in MA.

Thank you very much for your help.
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Also thanks for the servoshop reference, that site looks really helpful. I hadn't seen that before.