ESC questions & why not USA shipping

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MySolderIsOlder

Re: ESC questions & why not USA shipping

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Good point!
Luckily I've not had to worry about that. I think modern receivers are more tolerant of wide voltage ranges generally, so long as you don't need 3S. Of the two receivers I use, the OrangeRx R614xn is rated for anything from 3.7 to 9.6v and the Redcon cm421 claims to be OK for 3.6 to 10v. So both are perfectly happy run direct from either 1S or 2S Lipos.

Of those two, the orange is significantly smaller but in practice, by the time you've spliced loads of ground and vcc wires together (or used a little bit of veroboard), much of the size/neatness advantages are lost. Great if you want something to piggy-back onto your own ESC PCBs but a bit fiddly otherwise. On balance I prefer the Redcon rx because once you've gone through the chore of desoldering all the header pins, you've got a full set of through-holes to solder the gnd/vcc wires into. It's also cheap as chips and so far I've not had one fail on me.
Stuart (Tony's dad)
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

I just want to restate that I'm actively following this thread (and others) and am grateful for you all posting. I may not respond to each post but I'm studying them all. The servo board reprogramming is very interesting.

Right now these really cheap Chinese ones seem to satisfy all needs except they don't have braking. (I'm waiting for a dozen I ordered). I wonder how to get ahold of the manufacturer to request that they add that.

I'm have to read Rory's thread again to see how hard it was for him to add.
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

MySolderIsOlder wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:26 pm Good point!
Luckily I've not had to worry about that. I think modern receivers are more tolerant of wide voltage ranges generally, so long as you don't need 3S. Of the two receivers I use, the OrangeRx R614xn is rated for anything from 3.7 to 9.6v and the Redcon cm421 claims to be OK for 3.6 to 10v. So both are perfectly happy run direct from either 1S or 2S Lipos.

Of those two, the orange is significantly smaller but in practice, by the time you've spliced loads of ground and vcc wires together (or used a little bit of veroboard), much of the size/neatness advantages are lost. Great if you want something to piggy-back onto your own ESC PCBs but a bit fiddly otherwise. On balance I prefer the Redcon rx because once you've gone through the chore of desoldering all the header pins, you've got a full set of through-holes to solder the gnd/vcc wires into. It's also cheap as chips and so far I've not had one fail on me.
I'm wondering about getting the Jumper T16 transmitter since it is supposed to be promiscuous as far as the receivers it can bind to. It's only around $160 and supposed to be as good as (or has features of) Tx that cost more than double.

Does anyone use that Tx for ants?
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

you can buy a module that fits inside most transmitters (cheapest version i saw was for the fs-i6) that allows you to switch between protocols on 1 transmitter...

i think i saw it on banggood or wish (one of the chinese sites) search "multiprotocol module" and you should find something... just check that its one that supports common protocols as there are really cheap ones that are designed to connect only to brands of cheap quadcopter's

the description should tell you which it supports...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

The T16 looks like a good option, I've got the smaller T8sg which seems nice so far. Having the option of multiple protocols on one tx is great.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

GeorgeR wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:47 pm The T16 looks like a good option, I've got the smaller T8sg which seems nice so far. Having the option of multiple protocols on one tx is great.
It's supposed to have the built in multiple protocols mba lot of channels (12 and mod to 16) and has the magnetic Hall gimbals. I'm thinking about getting one (I've got 4 flysky FS i6 on the way) to compare.
The only downside I see is that the programming is not supposed to be simple (they are based on the opentx (think I have that right) so if anyone knows of a guide for antweights for TX that use the opentx os. Otherwise I'll muddle through it.

Does anyone know if mode 2 is driving with the left thumb? I'm thinking that I might be wired to do it this way. I'm guessing from lots of Nintendo play as a kid. Just a guess, but I've read switching is relatively easy. I think some op here have said that (Kyro?).

What I need to research are the mods to make on the flysky TX. Looks still much cheaper to do all these mods than buy all Jumper T16. I think I need to:
1. Flash up to the greater channels
2. Upgrade to the jumper Hall gimbals
3. Mod to rechargeable batteries
4. Mod to charging the batteries in the TX
5. Not sure what to do after that, I'm open to suggestions - also if anyone has guides they have used already I would love to get the links. Otherwise I'll just use the ones that I have stumbled across.
6. I'll also have to figure out how to do the mixing on the tx but here everyone says it's easy (which is just what I need)

Again, as always thank you for your help and generosity with your time. I hope I'm not asking too simple of questions, I'm trying to balance reading everything I can without making a mistakes of assumptions or getting too frustrated and giving up. I am grateful for all the help. Especially with antifreeze coming up for you.
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Kyro wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:20 pm you can buy a module that fits inside most transmitters (cheapest version i saw was for the fs-i6) that allows you to switch between protocols on 1 transmitter...

i think i saw it on banggood or wish (one of the chinese sites) search "multiprotocol module" and you should find something... just check that its one that supports common protocols as there are really cheap ones that are designed to connect only to brands of cheap quadcopter's

I don't know wish. I was thinking of using hobby-wing for the T16. Some reviews suggested that frsky pressured some of the big sites not to stock the jumper because it totally undercuts their expensive transmitters which are market leaders right now (and allows users to use their existing rx protocols so they can just move to the jumper. Makes sense to me, money corrupts easily and monopoly rents get really defensive and ruthless defending them.
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

mixing on flysky...

https://youtu.be/eGvwfhlsc3o

mods i did to mine:

switched gimbals over so driving is on the left, weapon on the right
purchased a different thumb stick for drive side that is simmilar to the sticks on a ps4 controller (added weight helps with how i do breaking too)
switched the top switch far right for the longer one second from left and added shock cord so it returns automatically and set throttle hold to this switch, throttle hold set to fully open when switch is pulled. this allows for on/off of weapon servo for the fastest action it can be but still have the throttle stick if i need precise control of flipper...

added different coloured wool to each of the 3 tx's i have to tell the difference between them all at a glance...

personally, i cant see any reason to need to flash the software on the i6... 6 channels is more than enough (max i use is 4 on my most complicated bot)
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Kyro wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:20 pm you can buy a module that fits inside most transmitters (cheapest version i saw was for the fs-i6) that allows you to switch between protocols on 1 transmitter...

My initial decision was to make the entry level TX the flysky FS i6 like you suggested due to the cheap price and ease of programming (plus mods to better gimbals). Buying for 4 people gets expensive really quickly. Then try out one of the more expensive Jumper T16 for myself and set how it compares (plus it can use flysky rx plus all the common ones I've seen here). So get 4 flysky for the price of one Jumper T16 was a no Brainer.
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Kyro wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:41 am mixing on flysky...

https://youtu.be/eGvwfhlsc3o

mods i did to mine:

switched gimbals over so driving is on the left, weapon on the right
purchased a different thumb stick for drive side that is simmilar to the sticks on a ps4 controller (added weight helps with how i do breaking too)
switched the top switch far right for the longer one second from left and added shock cord so it returns automatically and set throttle hold to this switch, throttle hold set to fully open when switch is pulled. this allows for on/off of weapon servo for the fastest action it can be but still have the throttle stick if i need precise control of flipper...

added different coloured wool to each of the 3 tx's i have to tell the difference between them all at a glance...

personally, i cant see any reason to need to flash the software on the i6... 6 channels is more than enough (max i use is 4 on my most complicated bot)
Thanks! That's really cool.

I don't understand what wool is (other than that on sheep) but I totally understand the need to identify them on sight by color.