Cubes

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Cubes

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I recently asked Jim if he could draw me up a 4" and 3" cube so I could get really accurate ones 3D printed. My robots have only just gone into the cube at recent events, and I'd like something at home more accurate than my cardboard one to test with, and I thought if anyone else wanted one they could just order one from Shapeways using the same template. However, Jim has had issues designing what I thought would be quite a simple thing and as I know nothing about it I can't advise. Anyone else fancy having a go for me?
Cheers.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
haz

Re: Cubes

Post by haz »

i can try, i can also fail badly.
shocking, you getting something 3d printed :P
Remote-Controlled Dave

Nothing on the robots, just the admin stuff. lol. I just thought it would be a way of getting one super accurate.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

The trouble with 3d printing is that you're charged by volume - even if we made a 4" cube with thin walls, it would still end up quite expensive, and at that size you'd need plenty of bracing to keep it from just bending, which adds cost again. I would say that a better and cheaper option would be to get something CNCed out of ~4mm polycarb that just slots and/or bolts together.

Edit: I could be wrong, of course. I'll throw together a CAD in the next couple of days and upload to see how expensive it ends up.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Jim tried an option that was about £20 without bracing. Depends what you think is expensive I guess. I wouldn't know where to start getting anything CnCed, but if anyone wants to do that for me instead...lol
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

After a simple 1mm thick 5 sided cube came out to 70euros,I thought I'd try something simpler...
This 3 sided cubewhich has been extensively swiss-cheeseafied,came in at 23 euros,but IMHO,it would need thickening around the edges before it was practical to use.
Other than a wireframe cube,which I reckon would be too delicate,I cant see a way to make a nice cheap,mass producable solution??
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I had a similar idea to Scott, it is possible to create a cube out of 4/5/6 identical parts that will accurately fit together. Should be able to be CNC'd out of polycarb/acrylic/whatever.

A flat square with castellated sides, with a small cutout to the internal corners should work. If the height of the castellations is slightly less than the thickness of the walls then the cube could easily be taped together (which allows for easy freeing of "difficult" robots!).

Hopefully if we could put a group order together the cost could end up acceptable. Material cost will be dwarfed by the setup charge so the more identical parts you buy the cheaper they are (each). My gut feel is that the total cost will be the same regardless of how any parts we order.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

I could do with my own set of 4 and 3 inch cubes. However, if its going to be costly, I'll happily put in a bit for a communial set, to be used at official events. Not that we really need one for that, I could just pay to get mine done and then bring them with me. lol
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I think you've misunderstood, Dave. :(

Since the cost of an order is mostly the setup charge, with the material charge being very small, you end up paying the same total amount regardless of the number of parts you order!

So my plan is that if, say 10 people want a cube, we order 50 pieces and divide the total cost by 10. Everyone gets their own cube but by placing one order we minimise the cost to everyone.

I don't know whether we could get enough interest for a 3" cube as well...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Speak for yourself, I was always paranoid my fleas wouldn't fit the 3" cube.

I will be doing a large shapeways order at the end of the month if you want to tag the order for a cube on the end. Saves on postage and set up cost I guess.