Thread for silly questions about rules!

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

EpicentrE

Re: Thread for silly questions about rules!

Post by EpicentrE »

In my eyes, there's no difference between that and a robot using suction. Unless you were using some kind of tiny particle accelerator to attempt to create a singularity with infinite mass to avoid you being lifted out of the arena, I don't think there's a problem.

It sounds awesome though, I hope to see it in action at the AWS! Does it have enough force to drive on walls/ceilings?
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

EpicentrE wrote:In my eyes, there's no difference between that and a robot using suction. Unless you were using some kind of tiny particle accelerator to attempt to create a singularity with infinite mass to avoid you being lifted out of the arena, I don't think there's a problem.

It sounds awesome though, I hope to see it in action at the AWS! Does it have enough force to drive on walls/ceilings?
Cool,Cheers Scott. In theory,it might! In practice... I havn't got that far yet!! :)
josh

Post by josh »

agreed, the mass of the robot is still under 150g. The force created by a fan is a, well a force, so does not affect the weight of the robot.
You could always fill the robot with helium and expel it under remote when the fight begins? In fact that could be the solution to my obese pneumatics!
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Thats great,thanks.I was just worried as when physically using scales,the weight could be read as being in breach of the rules. :) :) :)
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Quick calculations suggest a 100mm cube of helium would give about 1.05g of lift. Probably not worth it :P.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

That looks great Jim and no worries about the surface finish of the arena to worry about.
I did buy a couple of small fan blades a while back but didn't get very much down force looks like I gave up too soon. :oops:
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Cheers Peter. I know they are not very efficient,but worth a go,I thought.
I was thinking of putting a small unit over the wheels of a bar spinner,to aid traction,8g of weight for 60g of thrust! So got a couple of units to play around with. They certainly suck alot of current!!
I have gone from using small 3s,to larger capacity 2s. Seems to be the best way to utilise the weight.
So far,so good. I am waiting for batteries from hobbyking at the mo. Who knows when they'll arrive!! :(
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Makes me wonder if we should have a mass restriction as oppose to a weight restriction :lol:
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I agree, don't see this as a breach in rules at all. Go for it Jimbob
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Yay! :D