Thread for silly questions about rules!

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

teamocean

Re: Thread for silly questions about rules!

Post by teamocean »

Dave26 wrote:Lol, I really need to find the featherweight equivalent of duct tape. And you're very quick to reply Will! Like you have radar for when I'm talking about beating you. lol
It's something I've got used to lol I'm just hoping to even the score at the AWS although now we've talked it up so much the fight will probably be rubbish. :)

Anyway this is a whole different conversation for a different thread so back to the rules.

For the interchangeable weapons/ chassis/ parts- when I entered Inertia XL into the Featherweight Champs last year- I created an anti spinner setup that involved removing the disc and adding extra armour- no one had a problem with it but I had to declare it at the tech check otherwise I was told that I couldn't use it. So it might be something to consider is anyone plans on replacing any large parts of their robots with spares.

As for the definition of the chassis- this is a little harder but I would go for something along the lines of the chassis being the part of the robot which has the majority of the components attached to. Stil not ideal as I'm sure it could be argued for many diferent cases but I'll throw it out there for discussion.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

It's something I've got used to lol I'm just hoping to even the score at the AWS although now we've talked it up so much the fight will probably be rubbish.
I keep saying I'm going to have you again, but I am aware of the possibility you'll just tear me apart. lol.

I was thinking of a similar definition of "chassis". However, my new walker would be a case in point, as all the components are mounted on top as opposed to inside. So does that mean the top plate is the chassis?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

OK. Question2...
Depth of ditch for arenas.
I can understand the idea of the ditch being 4" deep,but I wanted to build an arena with 2.5".
Surely that would be OK???
Flippant is the only ant I can think of that could possibly un ditch itself?
But would that matter? Is the match over once an ant is in the ditch???
Merci,mes amies
Remote-Controlled Dave

I refer this one to the heavyweight competition, which used to be "if you're in the pit, you're out"...until someone managed to climb out of it (St Hammer). Then it became similar to the imobilisation rule, so if you were in the pit for 30 seconds without escaping, you were out.
I think getting out of the ditch on an antweight arena is very difficult, as they don't allow for any sort of run up. However, if the ditch is too shallow, a tracked robot, or a robot with the correct kind of weapon could theoretically climb back in.

My own personal view is that if a robot is in the ditch, it is out, regardless of whether it can escape or not. I'd say its a similar arguement to the "low walls" in an arena debate we had before, in so much as, if certain types of robot gain an advantage over others because of the arena, then this should be addressed. So I'd say once you're in, you're out...so to speak. :P
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Good. I agree.If you're out you're out! :)
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The rules state that when a robot leaves the arena it has lost. Therefore even if it can climb out of the pit/ditch it doesn't matter. In practice a 2-3" deep ditch is adequate.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

OK. Question 3.
Can I check that,as with the rules regarding expansion of a robots size to greater than 4" cube is allowed once in the arena,and the fight is started,and under remote control. Can the same principal be applied to weight??
IE: Once the weight of the robot has been verified and passed,and it is in the arena,and the fight is started,then under remote control,would the weight of a robot be allowed to increase??
This does not apply to suction bots,as far as I can see,as the weight of the robot would not change,if weighed while the suction was operating?
Many thanks...Jimmy B!
josh

Post by josh »

Am I missing something? How would you add weight via remote control?
I don't think suction counts as weight, it is applying a downwards force/pull. The mass of the robot remains constant.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
Remote-Controlled Dave

I agree with Josh.

Jim, I think if you have some madcap idea here that you intend to keep under wraps but still get a comfirmation of the rules, it probably won't work, lol. We could do with knowing exactly what you're on about in order to judge it.

However, I think the rules on weight are pretty clear - the weight limit is 150g, and 225g for walkers. If you exceed this weight, its not legal. Suction doesn't add any weight, it merely creates a downward force - the robot still weighs the same. I mean, if we ever decide to do an AWS on the moon we may need to rethink this, but whilst we remain earthbound I think its pretty straight forward. :lol:

I kind of get what you mean though. Using the actual definition of "weight", a suction robot could be seen as breaking the rules, as weight is the mass of an object combined with the pull of gravity upon it, so adding suction effectively increases the weight of the object. Maybe we should change it from weight limit to mass limit instead? (This is a joke btw, not a serious proposition).

Without getting into the physics of it all, its a pretty simple concept though. You put your robot on the scales, it tells you what it weighs. If its over the limit, its not legal.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Instead of using suction,I have a fan,that blows air out vertically.The robot weighs 150g,so clears the rules,but once the fan is turned on,in the arena,the scales WOULD read around 400g.
I dont see any difference,rule wise,to the expanding robot rule,ie:it in essence breaks a rule,once the fight has started,under control,and is just a different way of using air pressure,blowing,rather than sucking ???
Although,there is no current rule to include variable weight? It is not as effective as a suction bot,just a different way of using air pressure!
Peters suction robot is a contained unit.The suction force stays within the area of the robot,so that on full power,the scales read the same,with a fan blowing upwards,because the forces are not contained,the scales show the extra force,but is that classed as added weight??????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDpYB1IR ... ature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmp9LajI ... ature=plcp

The robots weight is 150g. So is it allowed??? (Pretty please?)