soldering

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Flippt

Post by Flippt »

It can be done with polycarbonate:
http://bovik.homeip.net/Tillverkning%20av%20Hjul.htm

However, they used a special tip made out of stainless steel (I guess), and lots of practise.

I would however just bolt i together, easier to repair.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

i just used a soldering iron on medium power, worked well
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Worked well, but how does the joint deal with shocks?
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

i dunno, never actually used it in combat (changed my mind and folded and bolted) it felt quite strong but i was able to rip it apart.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I have tried welding polycarb with a soldering iron. It can work, but it is not easy to get it strong enough to take impacts. It is very unlikely to stay together from a spinner hit. It also smells terrible and ruins your soldering iron.

Folding and bolting, or brackets or a thicker chassis you can bolt into are easier and stronger solutions.
TEAM GEEK!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

As Jack said, the latest version of RONNY is entirely made from welded HDPE. However, it's not easy to do, even if you are good at soldering (I have about 30 years experience! :oops: )

Firstly, make sure you work in a very well-ventilated area - ideally outside - as melted plastic smells nasty and doesn't do you any good if you inhale the fumes. Also your wife/girlfriend/mum/other will complain about the smell!

Secondly, you need to get heat into the middle of the joint. Plastic is an insulator so heat doesn't travel far in it. It's very easy to end up with a weak joint where only the surface is welded, even on 1mm thick material.

Finally, for polycarbonate folding and bolting is the way to go. Thicker pieces are easy to tap, and M2 screws will hold a bodyshell together well. Thinner peces can be joined with screws and nuts, and some thread lock will stop everything shaking loose.
Heat from a hairdryer or desk lamp will soften polycarbonate, but it is generally easy to bend by hand, with some help from a vice and/or pliers.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt