Fleaweight?

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bitternboy

Fleaweight?

Post by bitternboy »

Hi,
Is there a rule against spinners in fleaweights? You see I plan on starting one and wondered if the design I planned was allowed. Also, is it worth it? I havn't seen many fleaweights around recently. I come to the reading robot club regularly, is anyone else who comes bringing their fleaweights with them?
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Spinners are allowed in fleaweights.
At the last AWS I think it was 3 out of the 5 fleas were spinners.
I know fleabite and little yellow taxi were and I think one of Razor Daves was but I am not sure what it is called.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

There's certainly no rule against it, there were two fleaweight spinners at AWS30. Whether it's worth it is totally up to you, building a fleaweight can be a little more challenging than an ant in some respects, and getting a similar level of functionality into the reduced weight and size certainly isn't always easy - so it's certainly worth it if you want a bit of a different challenge to normal.

There's not a huge amount of competition, but there's a few regulars who have fleas, so they'll always be a few at least I would've thought. On top of that, you can also team up with someone else who has a flea (assuming both your teams arn't full) and enter them as a cluster bot in the main competition.

Edit: Doh, Pete beat me to it!
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

It's not only allowed but very possible, speaking as the owner of Little Yellow Taxi :P

I actually found building a flea easier than building an ant, the first version of LYT came in well underweight (66g) and I hadn't done anything especially to save weight, careful selection of parts to start with helped (basically be sensible, try and get as light a reciever as you can and don't armour it in 5mm polycarb all around)

I wouldn't advise sticking them in against other ants on their own though, clusters are fine but fighting Antipathy or Combatant with a machine half its weight is asking for disaster, hehehe...
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Thanx, I'll press on with it. I don't think it will be ready by the reading robot club in january unless I can get my dad to fund it as a christmas present. I think I shall christen it Figgy Pudding :D . I'll post when I finish. I know everyone will be fighting over the chance of joining the clusterbot :lol: :roll: (kidding).[/img]
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

No, Wait. "Pixel" - That's a better name; you think?
Jonathan Atkinson
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Question: where can I get a 4.8v NiMh battery like the one in the robotwars101 starter kit? I was planning to get one from sussex model center but they unexpectedly went out of stock. :-?
Jonathan Atkinson
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

http://www.strikalite.co.uk/prodcat_typ ... er_Pack/5/

"300mA 2/3AAA NiMH Receiver Pack-tags"

You'll have to solder plugs on though.

Simon
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Come to think of it, I might as well get used to using LiPos. Got any suggestion of where I might get one, the wiring to reduce the voltage and any information on how to wire it?
Jonathan Atkinson