nicads on fire !! (sort of )

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

muchalucha

nicads on fire !! (sort of )

Post by muchalucha »

In my FW , i have used the same nicads from day one , its a 1000mah , 9.6V sub c cell nicad . I made this pack up from a huge 24 V drill battery i bought from b and q in the sale , one porblem ive always had is hoe hot it gets , sometiems
after a complete dishcarge , its too hot to pick up and the tape its wrapped in gets all sticky and starts to melt !!! So my question is , how much damage is this doing to my battery and will taking all the tape of and glueing the cells togethor help at all , or is it an internal resistance problem ?
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Just hazarding a guess, but I would imagine any batteries that were used in electric drills are designed for continuous current discharge, not bursts of very high ampage which is what you get from drive motors rapidly changing direction, stalling when trying to push things, etc.

I would advise buying some proper batteries :P
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

That sounds good to me, although my FW uses racing style NiMhs and they get pretty hot. You could use heatshrink to bind them together instead of tape? They wouldn't get sticky then. you could cool them with an old PC fan, they take 12v I believe.

As for the damage, we'll as with all things robot, you're abusing those batteries, I'm sure you're not expecting them to last as long as they would if you were using them in a drill.

Simon
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

As for the damage, we'll as with all things robot, you're abusing those batteries, I'm sure you're not expecting them to last as long as they would if you were using them in a drill.
hehe , thats why i havent bought better batteries , as chances are they will get smashed to pieces at some point , im going to try taking all the tape of and using heatwhrink but they are pretty exposed liek that and god knwos where im going to get some heat shrink wide enough :lol:
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

It might depend on how much you charge and discharge the batteries. Do you got a setting for a slower cycle time?
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

the charger ive got is a fairly chepa one , it has a 0.5 , 1 and 2.5 amp charge setting , i always use 1 . I have a battery disharger (a half dead drill motor , with a tamiya conenctor soldered to it lol) i leave it going until the motor stops moving . so i think ina ll im taking good care of them , but they get extremely hot (in battle , they get slightly warm in charging) . im only running 2 drill motors from them , and until recently they only where getting warm , now there too hot to pick up sometimes.
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
widow_twanky

Post by widow_twanky »

Bet they don't get as hot as hydras did at Guildford!! 90sub c's up in smoke at the same time :(

Just use them till they catch fire properly.

Over time I think heat will just reduce some of the capacity until it stops working.

Andy
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

A little update , i got some new 3400 mah nicads and they seem fine , but my pro peak charger is a little fierce , its charging at about 1.5 A when its supposed to be charging at 1 , 1000mah nicads don't like that !! :roll:
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide